Jairo Dreams of Sushi

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by koukouvagia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Has anyone seen this documentary? It
    Is the fascinating story of a man who runs as little sushi place not only seats 9 customers and is the best and most exclusive sushi spot in the world! It's on netflix.

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes I saw it and I enjoyed it. The dinning is too intense not something I would enjoy his son's place sounds a bit more my speed. Sitting at the bar watching the chef prepare you one piece of sushi at a time and then watching you eat it is not comfortable to me. What I found most fascinating was the apprenticeship that the cooks have to go through. Kind of like training to become a navy seal except for sushi.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There was a thread here that had a clip from it, though I can't find it now. 

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Indeed!  Great documentary.  This commercial is like that... + the radetzky march + beer, all my favorite things:

@Koukouvagia you might be interested in knowing that his apprentice (the one making the tamago in a square pan) opened up a place in NYC, and tamago is kind of his signature now haha.  Given 5 stars by the new york times.  There is only one option: omakase .  Just as at Jiro's.

http://www.sushinakazawa.com/

The reservations are basically impossible to get.  They are through opentable, only up to 30 days in advance.  So if you're very lucky at midnight, you can get a reservation in 30 days (go for the bar of course).  If you have a credit card with a concierge, definitely put them to work on reservations :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good documental, but difficult to eat there, not just for the high price, but because of the ritualistic involved.
    BTW KK: it's Jiro, not Jairo. Jairo is an Argentinean singer.