Chef Forum banner

Jaffa Meringue Sandwhich Question.

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jcakes 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I want to make a a meringue sandwich filled with an orange curd and chocolate.

Question is, is there a proper ratio of chocolate and cream to make it pipeable but still strong enough to hold itself?

Or potentially could i make a spreadable chocolate and spread in between the meringue and curd?

Also would you have any great ideas for a garnish to finish the top of the dessert off that would compliment it?

Thank you......Cam =]

#2 ·
if you're after the taste of a jaffa cake, i'd use an orange marmelade and chocolate ganache. Make the ganache with equal parts of dark bittersweet chocolate and heavy cream (I personally like a little bit of butter in the ganache for body; our formula is 2# choc, 8 oz chopped butter in a bowl; 2# heavy cream brought to a rolling boil then poured over the chocolate/butter Rock the bowl a little to ensure all the cream goes to the bottom of the bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then use a whisk to gently stir it and it will come together and look glossy and smooth. If you leave it in the bowl overnight, it will firm to the consistency of peanut butter or sour cream and you can pipe it or spread it. You can also whip it to lighten the texture. You can scale this down to as little as 4 oz choc, 1 oz butter, 4 oz cream).

#5 ·
T

Omg, thank you so much for sharing i really appreciate it. So when you say 2# what are you referring to, a quantity? Is there a way to get it to a pipeable consistency not overnight? This is for a timed competition coming up. Trying this next week in prep for the comp. Marmalade is an interesting addition, so I would just spread it on the meringue then pipe choc in then top with other meringue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.