Chef Forum banner

Jack Marinade for steak kabobs

971 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chefbuba 
#1 ·
People who actually know how to cook, help.

My wife loves steak kabobs. Bamboo skewers, cubes of strip steak, sweet onion, mushroom, and bell pepper soaked for 24 plus hours in marinade and grilled. We are heading out to tailgate Sat and she really wants them. The issue is that our local stores don't carry Jack Marinade anymore.

I tried 1/3 cup Jack, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup yellow mustard, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 cloves minced, and 12 oz pale ale, and we test grilled tonight. She wants more Jack and sweet taste, but I am concerned about ruining it.

Should I try 1/2 cup Jack and 1/3 cup brown sugar, or go bigger?  At what point do I ruin it?

#2 ·
Never heard of it so I googled it. Which one do you buy? I'm assuming the teriyaki since your marinade has sugar.

Skip the beer and mustard and add a bit more jack. I would think that your marinade might need a bit of salt in addition to the salt from the soy sauce.

Fresh grated ginger, cilantro, sesame oil & chili flakes would also be a good addition to the soy and brown sugar.

#5 ·
I agree with Buba, get rid of the beer.  It's watering down your mix.  If you are wanting a Teriyaki style marinade then I agree to skip the mustard, but if it was me, personally, I'd keep the mustard in for extra flavor.

#6 ·
I ended up using a pint of Jack, a cup of brown sugar, a cup of teriyaki, a half cup of mustard, and four cloves of garlic. 24 hours in the marinade.

Everyone claimed they loved them, I thought the Jack flavor was too much. By two hours to kick off everyone was half in the bag anyway.

I really like the mushrooms in steak kabobs, I think it adds a taste/texture I didn't know was missing until I tried them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.