ja henkles forged synery

Joined Oct 9, 2008

Looks to me like a low-end Henckels standard with a heavy bolster and a fat handle. On that basis it'll be heavy, thick, and irritating to sharpen, but it'll be quite durable over the long run and (depending where you buy it) sanely priced.

What makes you interested in this line of knives?

Joined Sep 8, 2008
I went ahead and picked 16 piece set on an auction site for 25 bucks for home use. We had no knives to speak of at the house. They seem decent for the price and are in good shape. Thanks for the reply. I'm not a chef I just play one at home.

Last edited:
Joined May 29, 2013
I agree with chrisleher about it being low end Henckels - it's listed as being Henckels International and shows a single stick figure (rather than the somewhat better Zwilling name with twin figures). It's probably made in Spain and the blades will be a nightmare to sharpen, will go dull rapidly, and will just take up valuable kitchen counter space as you work through each blade in sequence as each goes from a "meh" sharpness level to frustratingly dull (and dangerous) in sequence. I would give the set mebbe 2 years tops before you want to chuck it into the garbage and start over (the knife block might be middling kindling for either a fireplace or a wood burning barbecue pit).

Do yourself a favor and get a decent chef's knife (my go-to blade is a MAC BK-100), a not-too expensive paring knife (Victorinox fibrox or plastic handle - as short as possible for detail work), a quasi-decent scalloped edge bread knife (again Victorinox fibrox or plastic handle - say 10 inch blade length), a good end grain cutting board (minimum 12 inch x 18 inch x 2 inch thick - 300mm x 450mm x 50mm) and some decent sharpening stones. Yeah, it's a lot more expensive than $25 from some auction place, but just one trip to the Emergency Room will be cheap in comparison (a dull knife - which these will almost invariably become - is an accident waiting to occur)

GS

Top Bottom