I've got half of a case of peaches, and only a couple of ideas of what to do with them. Anyone have

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by Tonnystark, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM.

1. Tonnystark

Tonnystark

Exp:
    baking
    I've got a great grilled flatbread that I could add grilled peach slices, goat cheese, balsamic reduction, and a simple vinaigrette-dressed arugula to. I was also thinking about making a peach ice cream with a blueberry jam. And I searched a couple subs and saw a peach French toast which seemed like it might be interesting for brunch service.

But I think there's something more innovative I can do with these peaches, I'm just not sure what that is.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Go old skool Classic... cobbler or galette or 2-crust pie.

jimyra likes this.
  3. STEPHEN WOODARD

STEPHEN WOODARD

Exp:
    CHEF, EXEC CHEF, COOK, OPERATOR
    Put them in large jars with vodka.....maybe a vanilla been and a couple of datil peppers....or spicy peppers

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    blanch/ peel/ cut in half/ quick pickle with brine of vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, red pepper flakes/ spoon and reserve some of flesh out to create bowl/ fill with shrimp/ top with reserved flesh mixed with yogurt, parsley, mint

or do an Asian version or East Indian version or Caribbean version

5. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Make peach preserves or a peach salsa with avocado. A peach pound cake would be delicious. How about peach ice cream? A light salad made of fresh spinach, spring green and peach slices offset by feta or perhaps gorgonzola would be good. You could make a pork roast or pork chops with roasted peach slices.

Or you could simply eat them at your leisure with a delicious Gruner Veltliner, Voignier or perhaps a Riesling accompanied by a light cheese?

Given the time of year, perhaps a warm peach schnapps stirred with a cinnamon stick along with fresh, chilled peach slices would be nice?

Let us know how you use them. :)

Cheers!

6. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    I agree with Brian,..
    Peach pies are always nice..with a sugared lattice top.
    Not sure on freezing, but the neighbors always love fresh hot pies! :)
    Classic "Peaches" Photography (Ellen Von Unwurth) ;-)
    Shh!

brianshaw likes this.
  7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    cut in peaches in half/ spoon out some flesh to create a bowl (reserve spooned out flesh and toss with red onions and lime juice)/ grill peach halves/ fill with cochinita pibil (Achiote pork)/ top with lime marinated red onion and peach

brian1brian likes this.
  8. brian1brian

brian1brian

Exp:
    25 years
    Small dice with blanched & minced red onion, fresh mint or rosemary, bourbon, maple syrup, very little salt, and maybe a little white balsamic or ACV... pair with feta or chèvre, use it in a salad, with pork, chicken, duck, as a pallet cleanser... switch the bourbon with amaretto and add a little ginger maybe switch up the herbs in that arrangement

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Freezing, pre-bake, works fine. My former neighbor would make and freeze so many pies that they lasted until the next peach season. And she froze so many de-stone peaches that the cobbler lasted just as long!

And as you say so correctly... the neighbors love it!!!!

I’m a photography enthusiast... especially contemporary fashion... so thanks...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM
  10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    make a slaw

11. Chef Jeff Lindsey

Chef Jeff Lindsey

Exp:
    40 years
    Smoked Peach Cobbler is a real favorite in my neck of the woods...

12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grilled Peach Shortcake East Indian Pepper Pound Cake grilled and topped with grilled Peaches, freshly whipped Cardamom Cream and drizzled with a Xeres Vinegar Syrup

Peach Angel Hair Pasta
    Angel Hair Pasta tossed in a Tamarind Peach Sauce, topped with Peaches, Tofu, and Jicama, drizzled with Asian Black Bean Vinaigrette and sprinkled with pickled Ginger and Cilantro

Farmers Market Peaches local Peaches stuffed with Spinach, Napa Cabbage, Kolhrabi, Tempeh, and toasted Pecans, then baked and topped with a Peach Garlic Rouille Sauce

Grilled Vegetable Sachets grilled Corn, Peaches, roasted Cauliflower and Acorn Squash, sprinkled with toasted Cardamom, Fenugreek, and Cumin, sealed up in Egg Wrappers and grilled, served with a Peach Drambuie Sauce