It's time for soup...

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by bouland, Oct 7, 2002.

1. bouland

bouland

Although the last few days here in Northern California have been rather warm, there still has been a few hints of the approching cool weather of fall. So I thought it would be a good time to post a bunch of French soup recipes on my web site. There's 22 to choose from — all tested and illustrated.

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    What a fun page!!!!!!!!!! It's really beautiful Bouland. And your pics are fantastic. You've really outdone yourself this time!

I especially like the tourain à l'ail. It reminds me of a soup I had (and now make) in the Basque country. Garlic cloves, fried on oil until golden, chicken stock, aromates, poached eggs and bread. Though I never tested the theory, I'm convinced it's a cure for hangovers... (Hmm... must put that on my to-do list ;))

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Anneke is right!
    Bouland how much time do you spend with your site on a daily basis?
    Excellent job! Congrats!!

4. bouland

bouland

It's a labor of love so I don't keep track of the time it takes. Even though I tested almost 30 recipes to choose the 22 in the article, I had to cook dinner anyway so there isn't that much extra time required. I have to take the pictures fast so the food doesn't get cold! My wife was getting a bit tired of soup every night, especially since I wrote the article in late-June, early-July as summer was in full swing.

It usually takes a day or two to program the web pages since I'm always trying to push the code to do a little bit more than seen on other sites. When I no longer have to make pages work on Netscape version 4, the programming time will get faster. About 5% of my visitors are still using that old, buggy browser with non-standard code.

5. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow, still lot of work and it seems that professional skills on programming are required!

6. bouland

bouland

I have been told by a number of web professionals that I write code with greater functionality than they can write. but, it's just a matter of experience — like cooking.

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ahhhhh... Soup, beautiful soup! :lips:

8. lumpia

lumpia

Bouland:

I visited your site a number of times and must say I am impressed with your work. I especially like that part where you can click on a bowl of soup and it'll come up with a recipe. Thanks for sharing!:cool:

9. chelsea

chelsea

What a wonderful site....both my husband and I love soup so be assured we will be trying them soon. Thank you!