It's that time again, fall fruits.......

Joined Aug 11, 2000
A little zest, orange may be good in your filling.....good with maple or molasses.
Sounds wonderful

Joined Mar 4, 2000
The molasses cream does sound wonderful. The flavors go well together, and the creaminess will compliment the apples! Apple cider sauce may be a bit redundant, though. Let us know how it goes.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
There is nothing better then a pear frangipane tart, of all the desserts this is my favourite.

I was looking at different recipes this weekend and saw that sometimes frangipane is made with ground almonds and other time with almond paste. I am curious about the differences between the two recipes. Is there a reason one would use almond paste instead of nuts?

Thanks!

Sisi

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Paste has sugar...I either make frangipane from grinding almonds with sugar and egg whites or almond paste with less sugar and eggs.....I like them both....
what do you glaze with? I use apricot jelly
(jam that's been seived)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Shroomgirl,

Thank you for the information. I always make my frangipane with ground almonds. It seems a lot simpler to me. One thing I noticed is that the store bought ground almonds, in my area, are not ground finely enough. You need to process them before using or your tart will have a grainy texture.

I also use strain apricot jam to glaze the pie. I saw some apricot glaze at the store but it had so many artificial sweeteners and preservatives that I decided to stick with the strained jam.

Sisi

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Some brands are lumpier than others, or I should say 'grainy', but most likely, the lumps are due to not adding your liquid ingredients gradually. Make sure you scrape down the bowl frequently, in between each addition of egg.

Top Bottom