It's Almost Time

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbillyb, Feb 25, 2010.

1. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had my John Deere tractor stolen last Sept, and my garden is looking at me, over grown, with sad eyes. I don't want to spend the money on a new tractor, Does anyone use a 4 wheeler, or garden tractor to pull a Self Propelled rototiller [​IMG]

I have a Large 130' garden and another area 150' x 40' that I'm thinking of putting into corn. We raise 2 Black Angus cows a year and are just starting to finish some of our feeder pigs. The corn will be used for my Food service, pig feed, and then for the cows, to feed on, at the end of the season.................Thanks for the help..................Chef Bill

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I looked into tow-behind equipment one year. The problem is, the self-powered ones are incredibly expensive. And the ones that work from a PTO require a tractor---which puts you back to square one.

To put it in perspective, at the time I was looking, the most expensive tiller made ran less than $300. The self-powered tow-behind was more than a thousand bucks.

3. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Hi Chef BillyB :)

I haven't got anything constructive to add to your discussion, sorry.  I just wanted to say that you've got one gorgeous piece of property. 

Very nice!
        dan

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bill

Your property is beautiful!  Sorry I have no input as to tractors, but I just wanted to comment!

5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, I started burning off half of the garden yesterday, and while working I couldn't help but think of how nice it was having a Tractor. I had a 3 point hook up, for a 4' tiller, that I used to till my pasture, and garden, and help with other small farm needs. I looked under the old tree, and saw an old, old, walk behind tiller, that has not been used in years. I cleaned it up, replaced some bolts, and it started up on the first pull of the cord. I walked it over to the garden and it went through the soil like butter. It felt good to see this old girl going through the soil with pride. I felt the soft tilled soil under my feet, and realized how simple a process this is. I thought I needed 15K of equipment to turn the earth, but all I really needed to do is, get back to nature, and enjoy a bit of hard work. Its funny how the old tiller was walked by without being seen, she is now the shining star in a new growing season. The food produced on this land will feed all of our animals,my family, friends, and Cafe customers. I would say the old gal did good................Chef Bill

6. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Funny how we sometimes fall into that mode, ain't it.

We forget that grandad did it with a turning fork and a rake. And that Native Americans grew immense gardens with nothing but a planting stick.

Technology is grand. But sometimes we do over-rely on it.

7. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crying.gif Brings a tear to my eye. Gettin' all sentimental about a rototiller. Good on you, Also gotta say the place looks great. Good on you again/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

8. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gunnar, don't get me started on my 4 wheelers, I'll have you crying your eyes out .........Chef Bill