italian buttercream smooth but has strings

G

i just made a 2 lb batch of italian buttercream and was smooth and looked really shiny and good...until i pulled out the whip.  there were these stringy pieces of white on it and i found some in the buttercream.

mostly i just want to confirm my own suspicions.  i think i put the sugar in too fast and cooked some of the egg.  ive screwed up buttercream before but this has never happened to me before so i thought id ask.  im afraid someone will tell me that the eggs i used werent any good, but they looked and smelled fine, so im theorizing cooked egg at the moment.  i tried to eat a string and it didnt taste like anything.  heres to hoping i dont die...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

i made it again, pouring the sugar slower, and it turned out fine.  now its just a matter of deciding on a flavor.  i can make any kind of cake i want, but i want to try a different flavor of buttercream, rather than chocolate, vanilla, lemon, or coffee...

my cooking temps are 10 degrees higher, though so maybe ill change that as well.

Joined Jul 14, 2010
please teach me how to make buttercreams. I wanna learn and might be a good idea for some friends who are dessert-lovers. 

Top Bottom