italian buttercream smooth but has strings

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by Guest, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

i just made a 2 lb batch of italian buttercream and was smooth and looked really shiny and good...until i pulled out the whip.  there were these stringy pieces of white on it and i found some in the buttercream.

mostly i just want to confirm my own suspicions.  i think i put the sugar in too fast and cooked some of the egg.  ive screwed up buttercream before but this has never happened to me before so i thought id ask.  im afraid someone will tell me that the eggs i used werent any good, but they looked and smelled fine, so im theorizing cooked egg at the moment.  i tried to eat a string and it didnt taste like anything.  heres to hoping i dont die...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  2. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

i made it again, pouring the sugar slower, and it turned out fine.  now its just a matter of deciding on a flavor.  i can make any kind of cake i want, but i want to try a different flavor of buttercream, rather than chocolate, vanilla, lemon, or coffee...

my cooking temps are 10 degrees higher, though so maybe ill change that as well.

4. tamtam39

tamtam39

Exp:
    At home cook
    please teach me how to make buttercreams. I wanna learn and might be a good idea for some friends who are dessert-lovers.