Italian american meatballs

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by kbuff, May 29, 2015.

1. kbuff

kbuff

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I need to entertain a guy that could be possibly my client. I wanted to prepare something he knows so he can see my "genius". I want to do meatballs. I wanted to do them with some natural aspic cooked out of chicken feet and I want to use bread soaked in buttermilk. I also decided to add some fried pancetta, etc. I have a misgivings about ricotta. I am sure I want to use it, but am not sure whether just for the sauce or also in the meatballs. Sauce BTW I want' to make simple. And I want to use a lot of parsley, oregano, and maybe a pinch of tarragon. Any feedback greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

2. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Hope I'm not late for the meatball party.  Sounds interesting.  I like ricotta in the mbs, but think they may be too wet w the buttermilk soaked bread. Give it a try.  I would cook up one mb to see how you like the "mix" first. Then make any adjustments, if needed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  3. canele

canele

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    my best advice.... do NOT serve anything you have not dry run and taste tested.

make a batch well before you are having said meatball party..... test them, taste them, tweak them.

4. kbuff

kbuff

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thank you, Cerise,

I did the meatballs, added ricotta, and buttermilk soaked bread. They were very good, a bit wet, but I liked them that way. I also added some refrigerated naturally made aspic (from chicken feet), but it was I think it was not necessary (and I made a mistake to add spice to aspic - it should be basically just plain, if used at all)  

But the I didn't like the sauce. I added ricotta to it, and I just didn't like the look of it (may look not appetizing to some people(?), I think I would need to mix this first). Also, the sauce was a little too sour, Maybe not too sour, but to just plain sour, no depth. I added pecorino/parmigiano  combination which was good, before broiling it with pappardelle, and the melting cheese, but the melting cheese (I don't remember what I used) wasn't good - I would like it to be a bit more chewy/flavorful.

So the good: meatballs, the bad - sauce and the melting cheese.Sauce too flatly just sour, and the cheese not chewy/flavorful enough.

Any tips. Thanks a lot. 

5. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  6. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    ? You just reworded and repeated what I already said.  Do you have something to contribute the this "recipe" / query?

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You should be flattered rather than offensive.

8. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Believe it or not, I spent some time trying to understand and Help the OP.  The query had gone unanswered for about a week.  Maybe I'm gullible.  But, to pop in and repeat the same thing is not thinking anything out - nor is it flattering or an offensive reply on my behalf.  Is there a full moon out lately?

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes, you helped and, no, you're not gullible. But to challenge someone else's posting because you don't think it is unique or helpful enough is just rude.

The full moon was last week I believe.

Have a nice day!

10. bob hyneman

bob hyneman

Exp:
    Other
    The key to meatballs is not to pack them too tightly.

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    BTW, I was going to recommend entertaining a potential client in a neutral environment rather than at home (too many chances of mixed signals) and seek a good cookbook... But you might consider that an inadequate response so I refrained.

12. bob hyneman

bob hyneman

Exp:
    Other
    Apparently there is more going on her than cooking talk, but yes the full moon was last week.

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I don't know if the OP will come back. Will someone explain the aspic. Did they try to use it as a binder? Dip the cooked meatball in it for looks? I used aspic a long time ago in Garde Manger. Is it a popular thing now? I still see it sometimes on dishes for flavor and such in some classical restaurants. but not used for binding. Won't it melt again in the meatball? I'm so confused.

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'm thinking the idea was gelatin to help improve mouth feel, but just a guess.

15. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Oh, no wonder they came out a little wet. I like meatballs soft so I cook them in the sauce. They go in raw with the sausage. Food Safe? I don't know, Never got the rumbles from eating them. I do cool everything off quickly and reheat quickly.

I understand the soaking, I soak the bread and cheese. but aspic?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

16. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I don't think the moon has anything to do with it. You chastised me because I quoted you in a way you didn't like. I agree with Brian. 

17. bob hyneman

bob hyneman

Exp:
    Other
    Chefs and cooks talk about some weird stuff.  We must work for a living or something.

Anyway the key to meatballs is not to pack them too tightly.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  18. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    One key, Bob. Only one key; there are others.

19. bob hyneman

bob hyneman

Exp:
    Other
    Brian, you are correct.

20. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Bob, You may be right. My uncle Tubba used to pack as many meatballs as he could in his mouth .. It was bad.