ISO Vanilla Paste recipe

Joined Jan 4, 2011
J JOC ... Enjoy yourself.

Seriously ... NO wisecrackery intended.

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Reactions: JOC

JOC

Joined Jun 29, 2020
[SIZE=18px]brianshaw[/SIZE] ... If you take a look at the links I posted for recipes it explains in there somewhere the purposes and uses and results of using vanilla paste. That's part of the reason I read into the links. The recipe is just to simple to have much deep interest. It's what goes with that counts.

I guess my interest is intensified due to the fact the recipe i want to use is using over $100 worth of beans so I am trying to find the best method (there are a few) best flavored, shelf life, and best bang for my buck! Some of the storage methods are also different (susceptible to mold).
J JOC ... Enjoy yourself.

Seriously ... NO wisecrackery intended.

I just want to thank you for the links and video. I had seen a couple of the links and the video was a new one! I know this is a simple task but......I am wanting a great result!

Joined Feb 18, 2007
I've been using a vanilla paste from Sapna Foods in Atlanta for a few years - it's basically seeds and some extract. It's big bucks, but a little goes a long way and I periodically add vanilla extract to it and the 16 oz container can last us 4-6 months usually. I had been using the Nielsen Massey stuff but the Sapna product blows this away. If you buy this, make sure you ask for the vanilla paste, they have two different products and one is more like a vanilla syrup. this is basically all seeds scraped with just barely enough extract to hold it together.

JOC

Joined Jun 29, 2020
I've been using a vanilla paste from Sapna Foods in Atlanta for a few years - it's basically seeds and some extract. It's big bucks, but a little goes a long way and I periodically add vanilla extract to it and the 16 oz container can last us 4-6 months usually. I had been using the Nielsen Massey stuff but the Sapna product blows this away. If you buy this, make sure you ask for the vanilla paste, they have two different products and one is more like a vanilla syrup. this is basically all seeds scraped with just barely enough extract to hold it together.
WOW! I live in a suburb of Atlanta,,,have never heard of Sapna but will def look it up! Found them! Thanks! Will try the paste!

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Brian Shaw,

I guess the main difference between extract and paste is the tiny little seeds. If making an ice cream or creams brule with paste, you’ll see those tiny little seeds, but not if using extract.

I find the pastes easier to dispense, especially with a squeeze bottle. One of my golden rules in my kitchen is to never have any glass bottles around, so I don’t have the expensive extracts.

That being said, I have made “pastes” by using extract thickened with glucose.

Reading about vanilla, it’s history, and how it is grown and processed is extremely interesting.

JOC

Joined Jun 29, 2020
Brian Shaw,

I guess the main difference between extract and paste is the tiny little seeds. If making an ice cream or creams brule with paste, you’ll see those tiny little seeds, but not if using extract.

I find the pastes easier to dispense, especially with a squeeze bottle. One of my golden rules in my kitchen is to never have any glass bottles around, so I don’t have the expensive extracts.

That being said, I have made “pastes” by using extract thickened with glucose.

Reading about vanilla, it’s history, and how it is grown and processed is extremely interesting.
The paste being the consistency of syrup the squeeze bottle is an excellent idea! The recipe I am using soaks the beans in rum for a week (I am doing a month) then scrape and cook with the rum and other ingred. using xanthum gum as a thickener. The paste is a lot more flavorful and richer than the extract.

Top Bottom