ISO Cake Decorating Reference Web site

Joined May 26, 2001
I am currently working on a book about cake decorating written by a Brit. Part of my job is to make sure that the terms are all translated from British English into American English. Since I am NOT a pastry pro (regardless of the fact that I used to have the title "pastry chef" :rolleyes:), I'm not sure whether some of the terms used are Britishisms.

Can some kind person here point me toward an American (U.S.) Web site that gives definitions of the materials, equipment, and techniques used in cake decorating, and/or has a fairly comprehensive list of items for sale? I've been looking at the Wilton and NY Cake Supplies sites, but haven't found the items I have questions about so far (sugarpaste, which I think is probably gumpaste; and scribe, a tool for poking holes through a template to make the design on the cake where you will later pipe it on).

Thanks!

Your pal from the hot side,
Suzanne

Joined Apr 20, 2007
Beryl is the bomb! she is a graduated pastry chef herself and is very much into sharing what she knows.

We go back ages!!

Joined May 26, 2001
Thanks! This was a big help -- I was even able to update and expand the resource list for the book: Party Cakes by Mich Turner of Little Venice Cake Company in London (England), coming out here in November, 2007. She made Madonna's wedding cake, so you can bet these are quite something.

Top Bottom