ISO AnnaW &/or anyone else w/tips re coloring dark purple sugarpaste irises

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by psycholucy, Mar 19, 2002.

1. psycholucy

psycholucy

Hi AnnaW:

we've e-mailed before about sugarpaste irises. my last attempt at these was too hurried and not very successful, but I am trying again and have some questions about coloring. you said you colored the paste first and then dusted. i'm making the dark purple ones & the falls have a splash of yellow running down the center. i'm not sure how to get more "depth" to such a dark color. i've tried starting w/dark paste, but it just looks flat. any advice for this? also, what about the yellow? mixing the dust w/vodka doesn't give very good coverage. too translucent. any help is appreciated.

thanks much!

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you start with a light violet colored paste, and then paint on it with either diluted paste color, or dust with vodka, it will give you a very deep color. Stay away from straight food coloring as a paint, because it doesn't always dry completely. For the yellow, you can mix white food coloring with yellow, and that will be opaque enough to colver the violet paste beneath it.

3. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I get vibrant colors using coloring paste thinned with alcohol. I find with the dusts, you have to use way too much to get true colors.

4. anna w.

anna w.

Everyone gave you great advice- a lot of variables come with your gumpaste recipe, your brand of colorings, and your expectations. I would test out the different ways and see what is best for you.

5. psycholucy

psycholucy

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

is there a best way to prevent brush streaks when painting w/thinned gel paste or have i just not gotten the hang of it yet? :)