Isn't all just chicken soup anyway?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by heymroscar, Nov 15, 2013.

1. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    With the base of so many soups being chicken, isn't easier for home cooks to make that stock with a whole chicken, rather than trying to emulate Chefs in a professional setting who use bones because their cost effective and readily available?  Why use bone stock in a recipe when you have the flavor of a full bird? 

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Bone stock adds gelatin that makes the broth have a better mouth feel.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There are "higher" uses for the meat than poaching in most consumers' preferences, both in the restaurant and at home. 

So the economy of using a full bird isn't there for most people. But most home cooks don't make their own stock either. 

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Most often i make chicken using thighs only, which i bone myself or occasionally, if i can go to a butcher and he's not got a crowd waiting, have him debone them, but i have him give me the bones.  I throw them in a bag, and into the freezer, till i get a lot of bones.  Then i make soup. 

If i want to use a whole chicken i use a hen, (which interestingly, here, come with all the ovaries, and a ton of egg yolks from full size to tiny pin heads..  I had never seen this before, and the butcher said you can use them to make stracciatella (egg drop soup).  The hen holds up pretty well under cooking a long time, but i usually try to take most of the meat off before it gets too cooked, and then throw the carcass back to continue simmering for a long time.  I use the meat to make pot pie or tetrazzini more often than not.  Or we eat it as "lesso" (boiled meat) with mustard or mostarda, as a second course after the soup with pastina in it. 

5. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I made a double broth not too long ago and it took on so many dishes for me, that before would have gone to just the stock.  All my dishes took on more flavor.  From rice to soups. But you're right Phatch, it does cost a little more to do it this way. 

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  6. chefsluggo

chefsluggo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In the kitchen we do use stock from bones for a lot of soups, but at home I soft poach chicken breasts and reduce my cooking liquid down with salt and pepper and an herb sachet. I then dice up the chicken and add it last. But then again I cook a lot at home, so chicken stock from bones does not last me long. when on sale I do buy whole birds and break them down, make stock and freeze the portions, its like a monthly thing for me. It's not for everyone.

7. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    ChefSluggo. If cost were not an issue at the restaurant, would you make the stock like you do at home? Oscar.

8. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    warning:  my stupidity is about to show

if one makes chicken stock using a whole bird, does one not end up with "stewed chicken?"

like comma where does all the meat go?

9. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You can always put the meat appart once cooked, mix with a gravy and make some nice pulled chicken sandwiches.

10. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    true.

a recall a recent thread asking "where do you get the bones?"

now we working on "what to do with the meat?"

I'm missing something.  I'm not missing the cooking bit, it's something else.....

11. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, boiled chicken (or simmered chicken) is not the most pleasant dish in the world, so it's important to know what to do with it.  Chicken salad, chicken pot pie, chicken tetrazzini, that wonderful chicken corn chowder someone posted once, chicken croquettes, all are ok with simmered chicken, but beyond that, unless you develop a taste for lesso and use the hen, it's pretty depressing.  And i wouldn't leave all that meat in for the whole time you have to simmer it for stock. 

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    When was the last time you saw a "stewing hen" at the market?

mjb.

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hard to find around those parts (the U.S.). 

14. chefsluggo

chefsluggo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I make the stock in my home kitchen the same as i would in the professional kitchen, yes. i only soft poach chicken breasts if i dont have any stock on hand and i need minimal amount.

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I save all bones from roasted chicken. Just toss in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Once a month I make a pot of stock with the bones after roasting them a bit.

16. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
    Leaving  chicken soup aside. Can you give me some examples of when a double broth would be preferred to stock in rice or soup dishes?   Thanks.  Oscar.

17. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How are you defining a "double broth"?

18. chefsluggo

chefsluggo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Only when my chicken stock is out and i need some chicken broth in a pinch for rice which later i will use the chicken in. I wouldn't consider just soft poaching a few chicken breasts in a small amount of water a double broth, but when cooking at home and i don't have any stock, like i said only in a pinch when i need some chicken flavored water and in a small amount, this would suffice. :)

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    jook

risotto

jambalaya

kanji

cook-up

20. heymroscar

heymroscar

Exp:
    At home cook
      A double broth for me, is already made white stock, that is then enhanced by adding chicken, ( breast, thighs, etc) and then reduced to full flavor.  Is a double broth mean different things in other circles?