isaac versus the chocolate... ROUND 2

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by isaac, May 1, 2002.

1. isaac

isaac

today was a new day!!!

i took W's advise and "multi tasked". i put the chocolate in the tempering machine and as it melted the chocolate and tempered it, i made a cake. by the time the cake was in the oven.. the chocolate was tempered.

i made a "thank you" box which turned out nicely

then i took the heart mold and the square mold and put chocolate in them and invereted it to make it hollow. so far so good. poped them in the refer to set for a while. took them out and bought some caramel fro mthe store and after i tyoe this, i am going to fill them, pop them back in the refer and tomarrow i will close them up.

i then proceded to make chocolate spoons with a mold i purashed from a cake store. i noticed it had a lip on it which prevented me from taking my palate knife and make it smooth. what a dumb [email protected]@ way to make a mold. soon i wil lcall and buy a new mold.. NO LIP. they didnt turn out. rrrrrr

so hopefull when i mold the bottom... the filled chocolate will turn out. he he he

2. w.debord

w.debord

You just cut the lip of the molds off. They sell two part 3d molds that way too....you cut off the raised lip and paper clip them together. That's one of the differences between pro molds and home maker molds. Cut any 3d molds held together so the edges line up.

Also sometimes you need to give the chocolate a minute to set-up in your mold for your shell before you scrap. Yes, the thinnest coat is most desirable but it could contribute to your difficulties. If your coating is really thin and your not experienced and fill your mold too high it could make it hard to seal, then your filling will ooz out if you don't get a good seal.

3. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Isaac,
    Instead of starting a million different threads, can you just put all your chocolate related questions under one thread?

Thanks.

4. isa

isa

How do you like your tempering machine so far Isaac?

5. isaac

isaac

isa:

it is ok. i wish it would hold more chocolate. i like the fact that i can spead it up by melting the chocolate myself and then throw the chocolate in the machine and it will temper it. i also like the fact that i can throw in raw chocolate and it will melt and then temper it. i like using that method when i have other things in the kitchen to do.

if i had the money... i would have bought a nice.. bigger model.

all in all.... its good. i do like tempering myself. i can then temper a bigger amount.

i remember elward notter using a warmer to hold his chocolate while he was working. i am thinking of looking into that to make it easier and faster.

6. isaac

isaac

sorry lotus!!!

he he :)

7. w.debord

w.debord

Isaac, I'm going to answer your pm here (hope you don't mind) so maybe others can contribute and or learn.

I think the main thing your doing wrong right now is your starting with more advanced work then your ready for. Advanced in your choice of fillings ie. too liquid.

First have you mastered molding straight chocolate with-out any fillings? If not, you need to practice this. To make it more interesting you could add mint chocolate to your tempered chocolate. Get a bag of nestles mint chocolate and add like 40 or 50% in with your tempered chocolate. You also could practice painting the inside of your mold with a drizzle of white chocolate for effect.

If your past that stage and your chocolates look professional (honestly) solid, then start making the hollowed shells.

You have the technique....pour in molds, tap out air bubbles, invert and shake out extra, scrap clean, re-invert hollow side up and I refridgerate this to speed up the process. About 10 minutes and they'll be hard.

For your filling you really should be working with a ganche based filling to start (less frustrating). You can either make your ganche the day before, chill it over night, then microwave a small portion of it and add that to your solid ganche to melt to a semi-solid piping consistant consistancy (which isn't always easy to maintain). Or make your ganche earily in the day and let if sit until it's firm/soft before your use it to pipe. Pipe your ganche into your molds making certain your leaving plenty of head room for your chocolate bottom. Set in the cooler for 10 min again.

To do your bottom layer: since your chocolates pulled out and set up too fast for you when you worked with cold trays. This time pull your trays out and let the plastic come up to room temp. about 10/15 minute. This way the ganche will remain set (firm) but when you pour and scrap your bottom layer you'll have plenty of time to scrap since the plastic won't be cold.

That's it.

8. isaac

isaac

w-

thank you for your help!