isaac versus the chocolate.. round 1

Joined Jun 9, 2001
today... i worked with chocolate and my new machine. he he

i did a sold mold (hearts). they turned out pretty good. i think i was still a little impatient unmolding them becasue when i tasted them, they were still a little soft in the middle.

then i tried a folled square. it didnt turn out at all. the chocolate mixed with the filling and seized the chocolate again. not good.

back to the drawing board.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Issac the chocolate mixed with the filling because you were in a hurry....either your chocolate was not set when you poured in your filling or your filling was too hot and melted your chocolate. I think you might want to try working near a cooler and setting your chocolate in it. Then you can work faster.

It takes about an hour in a cooler room for tempered chocolate to set up enough to be unmolded. That seems like a life time if you only have a couple molds and your trying to keep tempered chocolate ready to make more. If you let them firm up in the refriderator it will cut your waiting time way down. AND I truely believe it's the easiest way to learn!

Joined Jun 9, 2001
W-

the hollow shell is set up good. then i pipe in the filling. then i add the chocolate for the bottom layer but then it mixes with the filling and seizes the chocolate.

filling the molds to fill?

Joined Mar 6, 2001
If your shell is in fact set then your filling MUST be melting the shell with the heat of your filling. That's all that it can be (heat) to do that.

Pipe your filling in, not to the top. Throw it in the cooler to set again.

Then finish with a ladle of chocolate smoothed then scrapped. Again throw it in th cooler to set quick, then pop out.

Sounds like your rushing too much. It's just not a fast production with molds....that's the drag about molded items. I do and I think many other pastry chefs like to avoid molded chocolates because of the time and equipment amounts you need to be productive. I lean toward candies that are piped, cut or hand formed.

But if you learn to use the cooler to set your chocolates it does really help to speed things up.

Joined Jun 9, 2001
w-

i can see how production with molds can be a pain.

can you give me examples/ideas for what a pastry shop might do?

thanks, isaac

Joined Jun 9, 2001
i mean as far as chocolate ideas are concered. like i mentioned, my chef is opening up a chocolate shop so very soon and he doesnt really know anything about chocolates and he kinda said here: you think of some things. so i guess i need ideas that have to center around chocolate.

thanks again.

Top Bottom