Is working part time ever a bad thing?

Joined May 13, 2017
i always try to opt for full time because i need the medical as well as the hours but i recently got hired today at a big name store here the starting pay is fairly good compared to my last job, commute is alright.. but biggest issue for me is it's part time only. chef i spoke to claimed i can get full time later down the line and lots of over time as well but i was wondering has anyone been in a situation like this working part time and they stated these things but when working for a long term period and asked for full time were not given it?

i kind of worry but obviously im losing income working part time and i didn't expect full time off the bat from this company but i've heard MANY stories where people are hired part time from big name stores then hours just start getting cut until they are basically forced to leave. all were retail related jobs though.

this will be my only job but i do likely plan to stay with the company for quite a few years.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
no, its happened to me in 2 diff restaurants in my life.
There are of course many reasons for cutting your hours,
slow time of year, they dont like you, their cousin
wants your job, co workers resent you "stealing" their hours,
etc. One important thing is to, at time of interview, find
out WHY the position youre applying for is even available.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Pretty much was Meez said...

Then again, it’s getting closer to Christmas, and employers are desperate for relief staff, so they’ll tell you anything you want to hear.

Not saying that’s what this employer does, maybe he’s got someone taking Mat leave in Feb.. and is keeping his cards close until he sees what you can do. Or not....

Joined Feb 8, 2009
There are a few ways of looking at a part time position in the kitchen.

1. It gives you a chance to show how hard working you are.
2. It gives the Chef call-in people without overworking their full-time staff.
3. It cuts down on overtime in the kitchen.
4. It gives you a chance to see if this job is right for you.

That being said there are a lot of promises made and not kept in the kitchen. The Chef needs to cover their butt. In some cases they will lead people on in order to get people on call/no benefits to keep the kitchen running smooth. Find out from other employees if they were told the some time you were told and if a full time position materialized.
I will tell you one thing. I don't know of any Chef that doesn't follow thru and work hard to keep a good employee. Make sure you are a valued asset to the Chef...........ChefBillyB

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I agree with what everyone above has said. It could be a tough situation, but if you like it there, and can afford to be part time for awhile, then it might be worth sticking it out for a bit. It will be really important though for you to work your butt off and prove to the chef that you are an invaluable asset and it would be in his best interest to move you to full time. I would say that if that doesn't happen within a few months, then start looking for another job. Once you find one, let the chef know, and if you are really worth it, I would expect an offer of full time employment would be forthcoming.

Joined Feb 17, 2009
I changed from working as a chef to running my own Catering Equipment co, I just found the hours were killing me. There are plenty of franchise or distributor opportunities out there for ex chefs or people with kitchen experience. Even if you never sold anything before you will be picked because of your knowledge and background. I agree though that if i were to go back into it i would definitely go part time but this would be more for health reasons. There are plenty of well paid jobs going in scotland for chefs if you look hard enough especially highlands and islands.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Did they give you a written timeline on when you would revisit full time? On a side note I would be worried about getting too much hours as well and basically working as a full timer but no classification which in turn means no benefits.

Joined May 13, 2017
Did they give you a written timeline on when you would revisit full time? On a side note I would be worried about getting too much hours as well and basically working as a full timer but no classification which in turn means no benefits.
sadly after 2 days of BS run arounds from the manager i left. felt it was very unprofessional of them to hire me "part time" yet not allowed to clock in or not given a set schedule even when asked. the day after my 2nd day was my day off and was told the manager would put my schedule up the next day obviously i wasn't going to drive down 1 hour per way just to see my schedule so i called, left voice mail and even texted. no reply until 4 days later.

the way they ran things from what i saw was just unprofessional. chicken was going out raw, fish going out raw, they were more concerned about quantity versus quality. for a big company i was very disappointed how they ran things.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
sadly after 2 days of BS run arounds from the manager i left. felt it was very unprofessional of them to hire me "part time" yet not allowed to clock in or not given a set schedule even when asked. the day after my 2nd day was my day off and was told the manager would put my schedule up the next day obviously i wasn't going to drive down 1 hour per way just to see my schedule so i called, left voice mail and even texted. no reply until 4 days later.

the way they ran things from what i saw was just unprofessional. chicken was going out raw, fish going out raw, they were more concerned about quantity versus quality. for a big company i was very disappointed how they ran things.
Well sounds like you dodged a bullet. Bot having any time keeping system for employees and not having schedules posted ahead of time can be a big labor no-no so this I'm sure will come back to bite them when someone who knows the laws reports them.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Sounds like things were slow, plus they didn’t like the way Celbrise combed her hair—or was it she wore grey socks?

In any case it’s all experience, the next p/t interview you’ll know what questions to ask. For me, I forgot to negotiate at least one 8hr shift per week if “ they” wanted me on the schedule as p/t. Took me 3 weeks to figure out that one.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom