Is tomato paste controversial?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
One quick note about tomato paste - when roasting bones for beef stock I often paint a little tomato paste on them first.  It adds a bit of extra richness without putting a blatant tomato flavor in the stock.

I feel tomato paste does need to be cooked by some method before being used to get the raw harshness out of it.  Then again, there are times you WANT that flavor as part of the dish and stir it in near the end of cooking.  Like onions - sometimes you want raw onions, like topping your hot dog.  Sometimes you want the onions to be slowly braised in butter for an hour or two, getting soft and sweet.  Different approaches with different results, same ingredient.

Tomato paste is a good thing.

mjb.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
...  But not too much more.  Certainly not pineapple /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif   That's a pet peeve for me, the ham and pineapple pizza.  Big shudder there.
Why not?  I don't particularly like pineapple on my pizza either by pineapple is very often paired with ham, it's a good pairing.  Food pairings can't be a pet peeve!

Know what I don't like on pizza?  BBQ chicken - what business does barbecue sauce have on pizza? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

Joined Mar 4, 2006
While I'm pretty much a purist, I have no objections to using tomato paste.  I generally don't use it in my tomato sauces, but I do use it in other dishes to give it extra dimension.  I've become less "strict" over the years.  Working in a fine dining restaurant has taught me a lot about when expediency matters to build flavor.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
I love using tomato paste for all sorts of things.  How do all the snobs make pincages?  While I wouldn't use it as the only tomato "component" in a tomato suce, it's more because I'm not particularly good at handling it than because it's impossiblce or for philosophical objections.

It's not that easy to great tomatoes any time of the year -- worse in some places than either.  Most of the great chef's of the last hundred years used plenty of canned tomato.  One tenet of my philosophy of classic French cooking is that anyone who sneers at canned tomato is an imbécile of more prétentions than competences.  

BDL

Joined Apr 3, 2010
If you and your customers or friends like the outcome nemely consistency .,aroma ,color, and taste  Then do it and the H---    with what the rest say.

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Why not?  I don't particularly like pineapple on my pizza either by pineapple is very often paired with ham, it's a good pairing.  Food pairings can't be a pet peeve!

Know what I don't like on pizza?  BBQ chicken - what business does barbecue sauce have on pizza? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

Hehe - KKV, I just don't like pineapple much at all.  And I totally agree with no bbq chicken on pizza.  You've got my vote there.  Some wierd combinations end up on pizzas.  I'm a bit of a purist in this.  Call me a pain I don't mind /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   Oh lordy, and what about egg on pizza - aarggh!  Ok ok hopping off my pizza soapbox here /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Joined Aug 6, 2010
Oh lordy, and what about egg on pizza - aarggh!  Ok ok hopping off my pizza soapbox here /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
FWIW, one of the best pizzas I ever had was a pizza margherita topped with prosciutto and quail eggs. But I don't think that's what you were talking about.

Back to the original discussion, I really don't see how using tomato paste in making tomato sauce is any more cheating than using canned tomatoes, or using prepared ketchup when making barbecue sauce. And I would venture to say the majority of people do.

Joined Mar 9, 2010
I don't know what to say!

Maybe I should not say anything......hmmmmm

not likely....lol

Tomato Sauce at home with my Irish mom always involved tomato paste.

In my "professional experiance" , a big no no

reduce , reduce , reduce

more flavour.....

just sayin

Joined Nov 6, 2004
Tomato Sauce at home with my Irish mom always involved tomato paste.

In my "professional experiance" , a big no no

reduce , reduce , reduce

more flavour.....
   Hi ya gypsy /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

I'm wondering...I've only made tomato paste from scratch one time (really good stuff!).  Quite a process and big bold flavor!

What process do you use to make a tomato paste?  What tomatoes do you use for a proper sauce in winter time? 

dan

Last edited:
Joined Feb 13, 2008
"Reduce, reduce, reduce?"  What do you think tomato paste is?  How do you make a pincage or a roux pincage if you don't use paste?  How do you make brown stock? 

Do you only use fresh tomatoes?  Never canned?  When did out of season tomatoes start to exercise their strange magic?  What's the difference between reducing canned crushed tomatoes and canned tomato paste. 

I don't get it.

BDL

Joined Mar 9, 2010
"Reduce, reduce, reduce?"  What do you think tomato paste is?  How do you make a pincage or a roux pincage if you don't use paste?  How do you make brown stock? 

Do you only use fresh tomatoes?  Never canned?  When did out of season tomatoes start to exercise their strange magic?  What's the difference between reducing canned crushed tomatoes and canned tomato paste. 

I don't get it.

BDL
Hi BDL!

yes I do happen to know what tomato paste is .....and yes I have used canned tomatoes...but I do not gather from the post canned tomatoes were on the chopping block.....lol

Out of season tomatoes? Did I mention out of season tomatoes? We all have our own methods BDL .....I just prefer to not spend the extra money on a can of product that is so cheap and easy to reduce, reduce, reduce to my specifications ( love of food made me that way).....call it what you want...it's just my way

Sorry you don"t get it

your not supposed too.....just voicing an opinion

Gypsy

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Hehe - KKV, I just don't like pineapple much at all.  And I totally agree with no bbq chicken on pizza.  You've got my vote there.  Some wierd combinations end up on pizzas.  I'm a bit of a purist in this.  Call me a pain I don't mind /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   Oh lordy, and what about egg on pizza - aarggh!  Ok ok hopping off my pizza soapbox here /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
DC you're cracking me up, what's a pizza purist?

Some of the most interesting pizza I ever had was in Naples at a pizza shop with a huge brick oven.  The guys were dough spinners and it was very entertaining.  I was in my early teens then and was just looking for pepperoni for my pizza but could not recognize it amongst the strange toppings they had so ordered it margherita.  Our italian hosts and their kids had all sorts of toppings that I would not associate with pizza:  peas, pasta, eggs, artichokes, cream, salad, the list was endless.

Whatever you do DC, don't go to Naples.  They apparently throw the kitchen sink on their pizzas.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
When you are dealing in the volume I was 10-12000 covers a week, you do not have time to reduce tomatoes  to make paste.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 9, 2010
   Hi ya gypsy /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

I'm wondering...I've only made tomato paste from scratch one time (really good stuff!).  Quite a process and big bold flavor!

What process do you use to make a tomato paste?  What tomatoes do you use for a proper sauce in winter time? 

dan
Hi dan!

Wow I love opening up a can of worms...hehehe tomatoes I mean. I did not mean to come across as arogent, but maybe I am just too old schooled. I have worked for many Italians and picky ones for the most part. Heck they hired a Canadian,Irish decent dutch looking chef !. I have used canned tomatoes in the larger operations where I was pumping out 10-12,000 covers a week ( for you Ed). but still no tomato paste. I would reduce in the large kettles...we had 4! I now use garden variety plum tomatoes for sauce and reductions...I have an excellent connection with the produce purchaser for one of the largest grocery stores in Canada, who supplies to small guys like me on the sidelines...He's down at the terminal everyday and I can reach him pretty much 24 hours! I have lucked out with him and most do not have a great connection like that. I believe the end result is what matters....Happy customers, happy life!

Do what you will with those fruits of love ...it's all good!

Gypsy

Last edited:
Joined Feb 26, 2007
DC you're cracking me up, what's a pizza purist?

Some of the most interesting pizza I ever had was in Naples at a pizza shop with a huge brick oven.  The guys were dough spinners and it was very entertaining.  I was in my early teens then and was just looking for pepperoni for my pizza but could not recognize it amongst the strange toppings they had so ordered it margherita.  Our italian hosts and their kids had all sorts of toppings that I would not associate with pizza:  peas, pasta, eggs, artichokes, cream, salad, the list was endless.

Whatever you do DC, don't go to Naples.  They apparently throw the kitchen sink on their pizzas.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gifYes - Victory is Mine (that is, I made someone smile and laugh today)  Yecch, I shudder at the thought of those pizzas you described.  And I'm not entirely sure I would be able to get my teeth though a kitchen sink /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif   Pizzas are getting that way in some places here too - I just refuse to buy them. I shall heed your advice and avoid Napoli.  Next time I'm in the area (not likely, but one can only hope).

I suppose what I mean by being a pizza purist, I tend to stick with the "traditional" toppings, e.g. tomato paste, olives,  dried oregano, pepperoni, diced bell peppers, sliced mozarella, anchovies, that sort of thing.  And thin crust of properly risen yeast dough.  None of this cheese stuffed crust or really thick pizza base- ugh.  Or bbq sauce.  Oh especially not that.

All other things that masquerade under the name of pizza should be shot, or topped with another pizza base and maybe called a quesadilla. Or a disaster.  Not a calzoni (sp?).

Can you tell I like my pizzas my way? Hehe - yes, I do /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif   And I really do prefer tomato paste on the base.  Strong, bitter flavour - nice.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
DC you must come and share your views on the thread entitled "What is Pizza?" which I believe was inspired by our conversation.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
tomato PASTE on pizza??? too thick, too heavy for pizza.  The paste is meant to be watered down, and on its own it's pretty strong, to my palate.

Joined Jan 27, 2010
Yeah, I noticed that also. Do you use tomato or tomato based pizza sauce? /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom