IS this normal for a restaurant

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by magpie, Sep 24, 2005.

1. magpie

magpie

Exp:
    At home cook
    So I have been applying to places around town to get experience and see if I really want to get into professional cooking...the one place I went is a Trattoria and I coulld see into the kitchen when filling out my application. Mostly everyone in the kitchen looked like they were in high scool! And all the waitstaff too! Is this normal now for restaurants to have a staff so young? I am hoping to learn some things from my kitchen job and I am not sure if a staff of teenagers would be able to provide that! Should I keep looking? I only ask beaause this place seemed like a good prospect and the hours fit along with my full time day job....

2. chefmikesworld

chefmikesworld

You will find youth spread all through our industry...if you are really interested in learning professional culinary art I would suggest a hotel, conference center, or a distinguished caterer.

Cheffy

3. markv

markv

Being a chef is very hard work with protracted periods of having to sustain an energetic pace.

I wish I had the energy I had when I was that young.

Mark

4. mikefly

mikefly

im gald to hear someone wanting to get a feel for what we do before taking the plunge!!!!!!! and mark how does the saying go "youth is wasted on the young"