Is there anyplace that you would recommend I visit while down in New Orleans?

Joined Nov 6, 2004
Cochon.....sounds deeeeeeelightful! I'll check out the videos on Hulu as well, thanks Shroomgirl :thumb:

I hope I find that little brick building...how could I pass up the best crawfish etouffee? I can't! Thanks :D

I think I'm going to gain a few pounds in these four day...lol
dan

Joined Jan 2, 2007
K-Pauls was a wonderful experience, and whatever the entree be sure to have mashed potato with it. As the wait staff will surely tell you "it's the finest mashed potato on the planet!". Loved Pat O'Brians, especially the duelling piano's in one of their bars. Tried a Mint Julep as I was down south. Disgusting!:lol:

Joined Jan 30, 2010
Was just in NOLA for a week in November; stayed at a big-name hotel on Canal Street and didn't go more than a few blocks' walk away.

1. Acme Oyster House -- chargrilled oysters there are a religious experience. (I'm a minister, so I know whereof I speak.) I'm still thinking about them. Got out of the security line at the airport to have one more dozen before I flew out. Just amazing. Crawfish etouffe there is excellent; sampler platter is a little sparse so don't do what we'd all think to do and try a little of everything all at once. Oyster/shrimp po' boy was mostly shrimp but decent.

2. Huck Finn's -- barbecue shrimp & grits there was hands down the best meal I ate in NOLA. Ordered the same dish at Emeril's and enjoyed it, but it was way better (and not a little bit cheaper) at Huck Finn's. Place doesn't look like much and it can get busy around lunchtime but it's worth the trouble.

3. Had the signature po' boy at Mother's (w/ debris) and wasn't all that impressed really.

4. Palm Cafe -- jazz was great, food was mediocre, service was glacial.

5. Cafe du Monde -- you gotta go there and have a beignet and cafe au lait but, yes, the place will leave you tracking powdered sugar and don't even think of trying to use the bathroom.

6. Le Bayou on Bourbon St. -- best gumbo I had in NOLA.

7. Breakfast buffet at the Marriott not particularly local or interesting apart from the various spicy sausages, but quality was good and service attentive. If you know you need to be done with a breakfast meeting by a certain time it's a good call.

8. You can do a lot worse than Abita, and everybody has it on tap.

9. New Orleans Cigar Co. makes for a fun post-prandial smoke; it's BYO so stop at the bar a couple of doors down on your way.

Joined Sep 29, 2009
If you liked Finn's shrimp and grits, you should head to Charleston and seek out Poogan's Porch. It super good.

Joined Sep 29, 2009
Their shrimp and grits with a Palmetto Brewery Pilsner(local microbrew) is perfect on a hot afternoon.

Back to New Orleans. I called my wife's cousin in Slydell. I asked him and says it was the Gumbo Shop on St. Peter off of Chartres. My description was also a little off. The wrought iron is to the sides rather than in front.

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Lots of great suggestions here. I think it's a little hard to get overly specific with out knowing where GF is going to stay. No car means cabs or walking and cabs really add up. The time you are going (IMO) is just about the best time to visit. The party is over but every thing is still bustling and the weather is nice.
My must do list includes;

Getting a Mufflerlotte. Pick a spot, any spot that trips yer trigger and take a chance.
Acme Oyster House. All the cliches apply.
Topless oysters now on display. We shuck em you suck em. God I love a great oyster house.......sigh
Cafe Du Monde. This place is more about the experience than the beverages or the beignets but you don't want to miss it. If you have any one in your party that gets a little hyper from sugar don't let them come within a city block of this place. :lol:
Mr. B's for BBQ shrimp. Just perfect and not overly expensive.
Finally no trip for me would be complete with out a po boy. Fried shrimp or oysters for me.
There are a ton of high end places and Cochon, Bayona and K pauls are all great picks as are numerous others but in this city you can have a great time and eat like a king with out breaking the bank.....unless you want to.
BTW I know it's a bit kitchy but the cemetery and voodo tours are a lot of fun but don't even think about wandering through a cemetery on your own.
Not on a train.
Not on a plane.
Not with a 9mm and tasso tucked in your belt.
Having said that we walked all over the quarter and a lot of the business district and always felt very safe.
Have a great trip and Laisse le bon temps rouler!

Joined Oct 11, 2006
By chance I discovered the Snug Harbor just outside the Quarter... reasonable price, wonderful food, and fabulous entertainment.

If you want to just explore, how about just walking randomly and trying BBQ shrimp at every place you can find? Continue until you pass out or run out of cab fare.

Joined Nov 6, 2004
Lots of great suggestions! Thanks so much.

I'm not sure if we'll rent a car one day or not. We'll probably just play that part by ear...we may, we may not.

So many things are sounding so good. I have had Abita beer a good number of time. I'm partial to the IPA...of course I'm partial to all IPA's :)

dan

Joined Aug 11, 2000
So many of the places mentioned were around when I was a young RD freshman at St. Marys on Broadway and St. Charles.....1976....jeez 34 years ago.....and they weren't new when I showed up. That my friends is really interesting....

Acme, mothers, Commander's Palace, Cossamentos, Brennans, Central Grocery, Cafe du monde, even Snug Harbor, Gumbo Shop......
Some of my favorites are no longer around Ugelisch being top of the list, there was a place on St. Peter's next to Pat O' Briens.....Black pot, coal pot?? that's not it but I have found memories of eating buttermilk dressing on sliced creole tomatoes on a side patio when buttermilk dressing was a total novelty....Callas too. Parastyle was another one.

Enjoy.

Joined Sep 29, 2009
Would that be the Coffee Pot? Great place. Is it gone? I didn't look the last time I was down. If so, that's really sad.

Joined Nov 6, 2004
    Hi all /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

I went to NoLa with the intention of gaining 10 pounds...I think you'll all be happy to hear that I not only achieved my goal but exceeded it!  Really though, I wanted desperately to eat more food before I left for the airport.  But I couldn't!  I honestly couldn't eat another bite of food.  Not because I didn't want to eat more...but because I didn't have any place to put one more ounce of food.

I've always wanted to go to Louisiana and eat the food.  I'm so happy I finally got the chance.  I really stopped at so many places to eat that I really won't mention every single place.  I wish I could have stopped at every place that everyone mentioned, but time (and room in my stomach) wouldn't permit it.

Gumbo, Gumbo, Gumbo!  I had so many bowls of gumbo from all different places.  I stand by the statement that I've always believed.  There are no two bowls of gumbo that tastes the same.  They're all different and they're all so good!  I tried chicken and andouille at several places, seafood from a good number too...and I had my first bowls of Z'Herb gumbo (wow, nice).  My favorite was the chicken and andouille at Chartres House Cafe.  It had the most developed roux by far...getting into that nice nice flavor.

The meats and seafood were great too.  The andouille and alligator sausages...why oh why can't I buy them in northern Illinois???  Some of the clams were tasty, other ones were a bit scary how warm they were.  You know somethings amiss if my one buddy and I don't finish a plate of clams.  But...we did get some real nice seafood there too.  Shrimp po'boys, a nice (lite) fried platter at Deanie's.  All kinds of seafood with only one disappointment.  Okay, well maybe two partial disappointments with the warm clams.  My problem?  NO CRAWFISH!  Not one mudbug at any joint in New Orleans.  They said that we were just a little bit early...combined with a cold snap they had before we got there and some party they had before we got there...and they had none!  Of course there is good news...they were getting some in before we left Louisiana.  The problem?  We were going to be at the airport already /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif.

Some other notables?  Étouffée, shrimp, a corn & crabmeat bisque and chowder that were all excellent.  Drinks?  Well..I certainly did eat a ton of food...and when the time permitted...we filled the rest of the time with drinks and music.  Jazz, blues, street performers...oh yeah!  I'm liking this alot!   I'm very familiar with Abita beers and the Abita amber is a nice drinkin' beer.  Add on top of this more hurricanes than I can remember. 

It was a fun time...

Oh...the beignets at the Cafe Du Monde were nice and relaxing.  Although I did actually like the beignets at Cafe Beignets a bit better...plus the outdoor jazz in the Legends park was a plus.  The Central Grocery Co. was flat out fantastic!  Breakfast at Oceana was great too. 

Oh...we also got the degustation tasting from August, with the wine pairings.  :)  nicely done.  But the portion size, my word!  I've had a good amount of tasting menu's at various  restaurants and have never seen portion size like this.  Each plating could have been an entree by itself.  But really nicely done with some smart wine pairings. 

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

dan

Joined Sep 29, 2009
   Hi ChefRay.  Yep...it's still there.  They also have that nice corn and crabmeat bisque!
That they do.  Good to hear it survived.  So many good places went away after Katrina.  Little hole-in-the-wall joints that made superb food mostly.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 1, 2009
    Hi all /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

I went to NoLa with the intention of gaining 10 pounds...I think you'll all be happy to hear that I not only achieved my goal but exceeded it!  Really though, I wanted desperately to eat more food before I left for the airport.  But I couldn't!  I honestly couldn't eat another bite of food.  Not because I didn't want to eat more...but because I didn't have any place to put one more ounce of food.

I've always wanted to go to Louisiana and eat the food.  I'm so happy I finally got the chance.  I really stopped at so many places to eat that I really won't mention every single place.  I wish I could have stopped at every place that everyone mentioned, but time (and room in my stomach) wouldn't permit it.

Gumbo, Gumbo, Gumbo!  I had so many bowls of gumbo from all different places.  I stand by the statement that I've always believed.  There are no two bowls of gumbo that tastes the same.  They're all different and they're all so good!  I tried chicken and andouille at several places, seafood from a good number too...and I had my first bowls of Z'Herb gumbo (wow, nice).  My favorite was the chicken and andouille at Chartres House Cafe.  It had the most developed roux by far...getting into that nice nice flavor.

The meats and seafood were great too.  The andouille and alligator sausages...why oh why can't I buy them in northern Illinois???  Some of the clams were tasty, other ones were a bit scary how warm they were.  You know somethings amiss if my one buddy and I don't finish a plate of clams.  But...we did get some real nice seafood there too.  Shrimp po'boys, a nice (lite) fried platter at Deanie's.  All kinds of seafood with only one disappointment.  Okay, well maybe two partial disappointments with the warm clams.  My problem?  NO CRAWFISH!  Not one mudbug at any joint in New Orleans.  They said that we were just a little bit early...combined with a cold snap they had before we got there and some party they had before we got there...and they had none!  Of course there is good news...they were getting some in before we left Louisiana.  The problem?  We were going to be at the airport already /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif.

Some other notables?  Étouffée, shrimp, a corn & crabmeat bisque and chowder that were all excellent.  Drinks?  Well..I certainly did eat a ton of food...and when the time permitted...we filled the rest of the time with drinks and music.  Jazz, blues, street performers...oh yeah!  I'm liking this alot!   I'm very familiar with Abita beers and the Abita amber is a nice drinkin' beer.  Add on top of this more hurricanes than I can remember. 

It was a fun time...

Oh...the beignets at the Cafe Du Monde were nice and relaxing.  Although I did actually like the beignets at Cafe Beignets a bit better...plus the outdoor jazz in the Legends park was a plus.  The Central Grocery Co. was flat out fantastic!  Breakfast at Oceana was great too. 

Oh...we also got the degustation tasting from August, with the wine pairings.  :)  nicely done.  But the portion size, my word!  I've had a good amount of tasting menu's at various  restaurants and have never seen portion size like this.  Each plating could have been an entree by itself.  But really nicely done with some smart wine pairings. 

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

dan
I am so jealous.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Joined Nov 6, 2004
     Hi all :)

I almost forgot.  I didn't get to go eat at John Folse's B&B plantation property.  But I did get The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine by John Folse.  This book is absolutely huge!  Even though I could have bought this book online, or at a bookstore, I wouldn't have spent this much money on a book.  But...This was my gift to myself (that and the degustaion at August).  The recipes look fabulous...and in the usual John Folse style there is just as much written about the Cajun & Creole history as there is about food.  

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif,
  dan

Joined Nov 6, 2004
   OK...it's been WAY to long since I've been to New Orleans.  Last time I went with a buddy of mine and we had a great time.  Our idea of a great time is good company, good food, good drinks and great atmosphere.  But you know what?  If I could eat all evening and then end the evening at Pat O' Briens for some nice drinks and arguing politics until we decide to go out drinking I'll be happy.  For me, New Orleans was a difficult place to describe...there is just something about it.  The history, the culture, the people of the past and present, the music, the art, the food!  What is it about this place?  If it is placed anywhere else in the U.S. would it still have the effect that it does?   I remember saying to my long time friend that it's as if New Orleans is going on around us, yet there's no disputing that we were a part of it.

But enough trying to figure out why it is so alluring.  My buddy and I are going back and we're bringing our wives, I can't wait!  We're only going for (maybe) three days and we want to mix a good bit of food, fun and culture.  With an emphasis on culture, people and land...Are there any spots that you can recommend for interesting places to visit in New Orleans?  We're thinking it would be fine to spend half of a day (or so) away from the quarters.

Thanks for your time...

dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom