Chef Forum banner

Is there any time it is better to use Bisquick?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  teamfat 
#1 ·
For making things like Onion Ring batter, and pancakes, is going the older route and making the mix from flour, better than bisquick?

#2 ·
   Why not try for yourself and see?  Give a few different recipes a try and see what you think.

Myself, I like making my own much better.  I could never understand the argument that pancake mix actually makes anything any easier too, there's not that much in a basic pancake recipe. 

let us know what you think!

Dan

#3 ·
Thanks!  I will take a look at some recipes for Onion Ring batter.

I am currently have been slicing onions, dipping in egg, and then breading in plain breadcrumbs, and then repeat.

So I was anxious to see how battered onion rings come out. 

PS:  You are right about the pancakes being simple.  Bisquick requires eggs and milk, where non instant pancakes require around 6 ingredients.

#5 ·
Hahahahaha!  Paula Deen sure produced a winning recipe. 

That seems to be the basic pancake recipe. 

Onion rings seem to have the same basic recipe:

All Purpose Flour

Salt

Milk

Baking Powder

#7 ·
Thanks for the info on self rising flour.

I worked on some onion rings using flour, salt, baking powder, and different spices.

They seemed rather bland. Salt was added afterward. Hot sauce was added to the batter, it helped a little.

Previously I was just cooking them by dipping in egg, and then tossing in bread crumbs, repeating this twice seemed to give them a nice breading.

I really liked the way those taste and the texture, but I was curious to try the other method (Batter) because almost all recipes used a batter, not bread crumbs.

Here are the bread crumbs in use:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Bread-Crumbs-Plain-15-oz/10315089

For those who cook their own onion rings, how do you make them?

#9 ·
Thanks Chefbuba! 

I have a question though, I see multiple recipes that call for corn starch, but I don't know what it is for.

What does the corn starch do for the batter?

#12 ·
it may sound like cheating but a little onion powder in your onion ring batter makes every bite ...well...oniony/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

#13 ·
I was playing in the kitchen today and, just for the heck of it, tried dredging onion rings in plain cornstarch and frying them. They were pretty thin, but were crisp and tasted terrific! I think that's going to be my new go-to recipe when I need a quick side. It was so fast and easy.

#15 ·
KY, I just used cornstarch and no batter, just to see what would happen. Much to my surprise, they were pretty good!

I usually dredge things with cornstarch before battering because I prefer the crispiness and lightness it gives food. I even do it if I'm breading something - cornstarch, egg, crumbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.