Is there any other safe way than Mailboxes etc. to mail baking?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bakergurl6, Feb 19, 2003.

1. bakergurl6

bakergurl6

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any other safe way to mail baking than using Mailboxes etc.; because the closest one of those is unfortunately about 100 miles away.
    I have friends I talk to online, mostly from the US; but also from St. Lucia, who would love to receive some of my baking, but I'm just not sure how to mail, and have it arrive safely.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:lips:

"Share with God's people, who are in need. Show hospitality one to another." Romans 12:13

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    bakergurl6,

Welcome to ChefTalk.

:)

It really depends on what you're making and how fragile/hardy it is. Your regular postal system offers different methods of shipping depending on how fast you want to send your package. Your main concern should be "how" your items are packed inside the box. Further elaboration on what it is you want to ship will allow us to help you with details.

3. bakergurl6

bakergurl6

I usually bake simple cookies such as oatmeal chocolate chip; and often find squares in 13 x 9 in ch pans popular, such as applesauce cakes or today I made a zucchini square, substituting craisins for raisins.
    My main question would be how do companies pack them if they don't want to arrive broken, say using bubblewrap?
    I hope this is more helpful in how you can answer my request, again thank you for your advice.:)

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    There are numerous ways you can pack them yourself. Everything from newspaper, styrofoam peanuts, bubble wrap, etc. The key is to pack them snug enough they don't fly around but not so tight that they break under their own weight. Consider how a box/package of cookies is packaged when you purchase them at a grocery store. They are usually packed in small groups of 5-6 together in a section, sometimes they are layered, etc.

Here are some sites which you may find informative:

Sending Food

Mailing Cookies

Packing and Mailing Cookies

Cookies, Giving or Mailing

How to Mail

Mailing Holiday Food Gifts

Advice on packing