Is there a difference between smoothie maker and juicer

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by alisondozon, Oct 9, 2018.

1. alisondozon

alisondozon

Exp:
    We decided to buy a smoothie maker and my wife ordered 1 on the net. well it came today and it is an l"quip 110.5 model and it says that it is a juicer.

I don't know but to me, a smoothie drink is different from a juice drink.

am I right in assuming that a smoothie has the pulp of the fruit /veg finely grated and still in the drink [ no waste] but a juicer just extracts the juice and discards the pulp as waste.

Thanks in advance

I don't want to use it in case this is the case then we will return it for a smoothie maker

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Emilie is correct about the differences between juicers and smoothie makers. I wouldn't put too much stock in how it is named. Companies often seem to arbitrarily name things sometimes. Look at your machine. Ultimately smoothie machines are just high powered blenders. Is that what this is? Or does it have a system for separating the liquid from the pulp? If the second is the case then it is a juicer. If it just looks like a blender then it is probably just a smoothie maker.

3. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    The juicer I use has a different accessory you can swap in to turn it into a smoothie maker.

Basically, the juicer mode uses an extremely fine sieve, while the smoothie mode use a medium sieve to let through more pulp.

4. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I bought one of those manual juicers at the store the other day for $.99. Works great. If I want to juice other fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, watermelon etc, I hit em with an immersion blender and press through a fine metal mesh strainer if I want the juice with no pulp. If I want pulp for a smoothie, I don't use the strainer.

Total cost of production: Less than $3.00(us) - not counting the cost of the fruit. :)

juicer.jpg

5. alisondozon

alisondozon

Exp:
    Where is Emilie's post?

Pete, need a suggestion.
    l"quip 110.5 is a juice maker that's what my wife ordered. But we want a smoothie maker.
    Would you plz suggest me some good model of a smoothie maker.

6. steadyguy

steadyguy

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I make smoothies using a Vitamix blender. Other, higher powered, blenders will do a fine job as well. There are many choices with Vitamix, not as familiar with other brands.