Is pasta healthy food?

Joined Jun 15, 2021
Pasta is my favorite dish and I eat a lot of it. But there's a question is it healthy? or should I stop eating pasta so much?

Joined Oct 6, 2020
Too much of anything is a bad thing. I don't feel pasta is inherently bad, but would need more details as to frequency of eating, volume consumed, and what do you have on your pasta? Heavy cream, with buckets of cheese, and meatballs the size of tennis balls?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Pasta is my favorite dish and I eat a lot of it. But there's a question is it healthy? or should I stop eating pasta so much?
Well, 60 million Italians can't be wrong. :)

Yes, pasta is good for you. However, like all things, moderation is key. Pasta by itself has zero cholesterol, low in calories (about 220 per serving) and a good source of protein and long term carbs. When topped with tomato based sauces, the nutritional aspect increases.

If you have concerns about how much pasta you consume, you should consult a dietician or qualified physician rather than solicit the advice of strangers on food and cooking forum. :)

Cheers!

Joined Jan 27, 2002
Pasta is fine,it's usually the rich sauces that are put on it.
I like to experiment with pasta,my newest is with chestnut flour.Turned out well and a nice flavour.

Joined Jun 23, 2021
I love pasta, but before taking it I thought its takes time to digest easily, Is it true ?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
In general, yes. Pasta has a low glycemic index of around 55. Pasta that's cooked past al dente may have a slightly higher index rating.

For the sake of explanation, a glycemic index rating is based on how fast a particular food can be digested and cause a change in your blood sugar. Candy, for example, breaks down quickly and therefore, changes the blood sugar quickly. As such, candy will have a high glycemic index number of 100 or higher depending on the candy. Broccoli, on the other hand, breaks down slowly and will have a much lower GI index.

So, to answer your question, yes, pasta does digest rather slowly.

Cheers! :)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
If concerned about the foods you love consider reading both the glycemic index and the glycemic load charts.
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/food-beverages/glycemic-index-glycemic-load

The numbers are different on each for instance watermelon is high on the index, but low on the load so do your research. I have friends who use heavy cream in Carbonara - it makes no sense to me. It's simply pork, pasta, eggs and cheese. Oh and lots of black pepper.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
For an even healthier substitute when I make lasagna I substitute eggplant slices for pasta. Salt, paper towels, dry a little in the oven then build you lasagna. I encourage all y'all to try it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom