Is it unacceptable to have salad entree for stir fry chicken?

Joined Jan 25, 2017
An argument I had with a chef, who was claiming it's a nonsense to have salad as an entree for any type of stir fry.

But all the arguments she brought up were insufficient to convince me. Any valid argument against salads with stir fries?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I wouldn't say that it is "unacceptable", but I would say that, seeing as stir fries often contain a large amount of vegetables, I would say that there are better options than salad to accompany, or as a starter to a stir fry.

Joined Jun 5, 2015
Entrée also known as the starter, first course or the dish before the main course. I know in North America an entree is the main dish. I never knew why though.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
A cold dish is often part of a traditional Chinese meal, but salad as we think of it in the West is not part of that cuisine historically. The sanitation level wasnt up to the task. In modern variations you will see it more.

Joined Apr 25, 2014

Entrée also known as the starter, first course or the dish before the main course. I know in North America an entree is the main dish. I never knew why though.
I'm afraid this is good ole American sarcasm.  If you are a poor American in the middle of the country.  All you can afford is a starter, so it becomes your main.  Therefore an entrée.   At some point this joke caught on I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom