Is it possible to restore chemically burned pans?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Yikes, what a mess those pans are! I wouldn't bother putting any effort into them. The all can be replaced for about $50 or $70 at a local Smart&Final, or whatever your local "commercial" store is. You'd put a lot more effort int restoration than it is worth.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Why not heat one up and put some oil in it? They don't look the same but I don't see why they would not work the same. Re season and see what you can do. 

Joined Dec 18, 2010
That looks like aluminum oxide to me. Potentially a quick path to Alzheimer's... Or worse, impotence.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Might get that stuff off with a wire wheel mounted in a drill or bench grinder, but.....

I don't think it would be worth the effort...

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
They're so pitted that they'll never release right; they'll burn at the drop of a hat. There's just no value in them except for recycle.

Joined Aug 29, 2016
Thank you everybody.  I think at this point I'm going to be safe than sorry and dump them off.

Luckily there wasn't anything really put into them.

Joined Jun 1, 2015
Grill screens if they are not pitted. 50 - 70 a piece cost. That's a lot of money to throw in the garbage

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Well, I guess if the o.p. has a gas range at home, and is willing to put in the labour, andvprovided the pans aren't badly pitted, yeah sure, why not?

Thing is, those are alum-lum-lumnimmum pans. Cheap like borscht. They are already warped, so they won't sit flat on an electric or ceramic range,--useless as mammaries on a stud bull, unless you have a gas range, where it then behaves like a mini wok.

But don' stop there! The handles are riveted on, and guessy-guessy what the rivet material is? Yup alumynum. Baby-poo soft aluminum. Which means that the rivets will compress and deform their holes after a few weeks of shaking the handle, which means you have a loosey-goosey handle, and also a pan that leaks at the rivet line. Now, its one thing for the pan to dribble liquids all over the stove, making a nice mess to clean up, but when that pans starts dribbling smoking hot oil out of the rivet holes and down your wrist, well then.....

Top Bottom