Chef Forum banner

Is it okay??

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Cdp 
#1 ·
warning
this is a very volitile /controversial topic.

mods please let this stretch out a little remember this is for futur of chefs.

It was brought to my attention from a commis i have she is green new but knows a bit,
and it was asked,
hey chef i get $26per hour on a salary i said ok...
i could see this heading down a dark path

and goes down the road of
$26p/h x38hrs
=$988

but chef i do 50hrs p/w already
that 12 hrs p/w i don't get paid for = 48 permonth

48x$26 $1248 permonth and 14k per year.

so the question was asked by her is that okay????

i said well there is the old school thinkers and the modern day realist,

what do you think i said ...is it fair

SO.......I am gelling on it with the guys here

thoughts..

See less See more
#3 ·
I assume she is being payed a salary, in my country it means you work 5 days /week, 8 hours/day. She works 10h/day, 5 days/week or 8h/day, 6 days/week or something like that, so when she divides salary/hours and adds how many hours she worked it comes out less than what it should.

That being said, if you are paying a commis 4k/month let me know if you are hiring, I promise I won't complain

#5 ·
Career mined people can't worry about the journey only the destination. My answer is, she s/b looking for your job. I can't see anyone working in this business, working 50 hrs a week for 38 hrs pay unless there's a bigger goal. I look at kitchen positions as either stepping stones or bottomless pits. If a person is going in with an attitude of just being a prep cook or front line cook these's going to be a lot of injustice in their life. While these people are tugging along and just doing what's expected they'll be less satisfied after a while. This will happen because the kitchen is in constant motion and in many cases controlled chaos.
I also think in many cases this person could be a candidate for talking with the labor board. Todays world doesn't look at things like we did in yesteryear. I would tell this person your story on moving up through the ranks in this business. Your story will include your many hours worked without getting paid. The reason you did it was to learn and move up in this business to achieve a greater goal of becoming a chef......ChefBillyB

#8 ·
She is not being paid $26 an hour, that is her mistake. She is being paid $988 a week. Pay is either weekly or hourly. She made the choice for weekly pay rather than hourly. Predicated on a 50 hour week, she is being paid approximately $18 an hour.

You can't use the divisor for one pay rate to figure out the pay rate for the other and expect accurate results.

In base 10, the number 12 is 12. In base 5, the number 12 is 22. If I divide 12 by 4, the result is 3. If I divide 22 by 4 the result is 5.5. The two results are not the same, is that okay?

#11 ·
2nd I do get what she is saying as in her contract states 1 thing
but yet is forced to work extra.
Tell her she is not being forced to do more than her contracted hours, and you will just have to work around it when she walks off the line during peak, and one of her work mates will happily clean down her station and work even more unpaid hours.

Were it me, I would sit her down and tell her she probably isn't suited to this industry. Watching the clock is for desk jobs.

#10 ·
Yep, sounded like our AUD$ here.
You need to look at her contract.
Here in Australia, the smart operators normally put in a "get out" clause that usually reads:
"You are expected to perform 38 hours per week, or however many hours are required to properly fulfill the scope of the position"
Note that this will almost never mean less than 38 hours.
It's simply part of the industry down here, and whilst I can see her point, she will never move forward in this game with the attitude she is demonstrating.
If you are able to come across as blunt but honest, tell her that there are a hundred people ready to take the job if she isn't happy with the conditions.

#12 ·
ok.. yep that was my thoughts,harden up
i can say she puts in 100% every shift no question

maybe going left field for a moment... is she right?
is this one of the many reasons we are loosing chefs?
surely we have friends in other fields/trades that clearly just looked up seek.com.au
sparky starts at 60k

as no other trade does this why should chefs do the long hours for less pay
I can go the road of your not suited to the industry you wont go far thinking like this...etc etc,

but is she right? is it okay ?? i hate to say it but I do agree with her to a certain degree and i love my job and i am not to bad at it.
but yeah are we looking the wrong way at this???

remember young chefs entering(not many) are what we pass knowledge to them,
are we just as bad saying it is okay to work stupid hours for less cash leading them into a lions den.

I know many on here work long hours and I know its a pride thing
but I have 3 kids myself and yeah its hard when your bank manager thought i was on 100k as I am a qualified chef etc.
when i tell him i am on 65k and do 65-70 hours and he says you get bonus or b/pay
i say no

he goes oh...wow i thought chefs got paid well.

i dont want to stir the pot and fury those but surely there is some truth to this.

gulp..... play nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.