is it Ok? private group employee/staff FB pages ?

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by miss T, Sep 10, 2019.

1. miss T

miss T

Exp:
    12+ years
    hi ( hope i word this correctly ) in this day and age it would seem that it is normal for staff in any establishment to have or create their own page for general information and social interaction, do you think it is OK for management to use this type of page for warning/abusing or general threatening loss of job to individuals . is it ok for management to use it like this? curious as to others views and thoughts on it.

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    First off, welcome to CT. :)

To answer your question, no, I do not think it is ok for management to use social media as a means to warn/abuse employees or as a means to execute any business related issues unless its for something positive like announcing that a new employee will be joining the staff, or someone is retiring/getting promoted etc. And then, it should be announced on a company owned social media page.

As for employees, they should not be using social media to talk about work, especially in a negative way. Most employers these days have a social media policy that the employers must read and sign acknowledging they know, understand and agree with the policy and will comply with it.

In the food industry, I have seen/known FOH employees such as servers and especially bar tenders announce on their social media that they are working and for their friends to come visit them. That tends to draw in business and I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

Maybe your choice of wording was not the best, but, if management is using social media to reprimand/abuse employees, that's a problem that's potentially serious.
    Perhaps you could provide more clarification in regards to what you mean by "reprimand/abuse employees"??

miss T and Seoul Food like this.
  3. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you are a manager the last thing you should be doing is posting anything negative or abusive about your employees on social media. I don't know why anyone would think that was okay.

miss T likes this.
  4. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    social media is a dual edged sword; what you post will come back to you in one way or another regardless of whether you think the "page" is private or not. You have to separate whether the post is from the Corporate entity or from a person who works there - because if/when something escalates, it's a question of whether the posts/opinions/whatever come from an individual or a company; or from a person representing the company at the time.

Don't post anything that can be construed as negative. If someone is posting on your social media page you can politely respond that the post is unwelcome; or as a policy, you can manage your page by not making it public, by not "friending" colleagues (unless your company mandates you have to have a manager or social media representative as a friend or follower so they can be sure you are not saying negative things) and never forgetting that the internet is forever......

miss T likes this.
  5. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Is this page or group private and only employees of the business are allowed to join?

6. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Wouldn't touch FB (or any other "social media") with a 10 foot pole.
    A: they use your info/data for marketing/profit. (nothing is free)
    B: anything you say will always come back later & bite you in the *ss.
    ...Even perhaps here..shh! :rolleyes:

miss T likes this.
  7. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I would never work for any company that limits my civil liberties like that, I don't care how much they pay. That said, I consider social media the toilet bowl of the internet. I
    don't get involved enough for an employer to be concerned anyway.

As to the original question, if this were a large multi-site company I could see maybe having a group where employees, who might never know each other, can talk and make friends. But I suspect that this is a small operation. So ever hear of taking to each other?

Management using a forum open to all employees to bully individuals is just asking for trouble. I would consult an attorney. Just goes to show how ignorant the employer is to leave a written record. Someone might also file a complaint with Facebook, point to the threats and bullying and see if they will shut down the page.

miss T likes this.
  8. miss T

miss T

Exp:
    12+ years
    it is a large company that is a leading global retailer with a presence in over 25 countries and i do not think they are aware yet about the page. the page is a private page i believe set up by a manager and only for staff members i personally have not posted anything on the page i don't believe in giving any information out on the internet and would never post anything negative, management has been using it as a place to inform of changes but it looks like more often than not it is used to complain about staff not doing certain things correctly and to inform people that if for example they do not do close of business correctly that they will be given official written warnings even though new staff are not properly trained in close procedures or they are given very vague direction and at times none at all.

9. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Perhaps the home office should hear about this. I don't know what kind of management uses a Facebook page to communicate with employees.

Sounds to me like somebody in your management needs to go.

10. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    I think this is completely improper. Management should not be issuing any sort of corrective measures, including warnings, to employees in front of other employees. When you are on social media, you are in public even when the social media page is private. In all my years as an employer, I would never tell an employee they are going to be reprimanded or discipline an employee in the open for the rest of the staff to see. Its not good business and most importantly, its not professional. To my mind, there is no distinction between doing this sort of thing live or on social media.

Lastly, your employer has a duty to confidentiality, especially if they operate in the US and you are employed in the US. Im not so sure that what you are describing is consistent with your employer's obligations in this regard. But, don't take my word for it. Im not a legal expert, although I do play one on TV. :confused::)