is it me or is it humid out there? sugar paste is weeping, macarther park is melting.

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by m brown, Aug 6, 2002.

1. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Need to know if I am dumb as a brick or what.
    What do you do with weeping rolled fondant, when it is sooo hot you must use the frige?

My cake this weekend was soo wet when I set it out I almost cried. (first time using commercial rolled fondant)

Any helpful hints? Or should you just not ice a cake when the weather is horrible? Or should I re-adjust the compressors and fans in the walk-in?

PS the heat was 95 and humidity 96% so hot it is insane.:confused:

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Usually in the summer, id someone really insists on a fondant cake, I suggest a dummy cake with a real bottom layer that they can cut at the reception. It's more work for me, but it guarantees a pretty cake. Beyond that, as long as they know the risk, it's up to the client to choose what they want.

In the past, I have been able to at least slow down the process by taking the cake out into a very air-conditioned room, and blowing a fan on it. Before it goes in the fridge to set up, I box it up as airtight as possible.

3. w.debord

w.debord

Thoughts:

Some refrid.'s just are so high in humitity that all cakes wilt while in them, ganche does the same thing, sheets of chocolate look like they took a bath, etc... Especially ones that have produce in them. Find a drier cooler. Then put your cake in a box. The box take the brunt of the humidity.

Don't take a very cold cake into a warm room too soon.

Some people believe that cakes with fondant should never be refridgerated. But they work for me....

How was your fondant when you began (which brand did you use?). Some brands are moister and seem to be less tolerable to a humid climate.

Actually fondant is easier in that weather then buttercream. Oh, what kind of frosting did you use under it? Decorators (crisco cream) frosting is about the only type that won't melt in that weather.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties! That kind of weather is pushing the envelop for the guests as well as the cake. I always warn brides with outside weddings about the problems, but... If worse comes to worse push a dummy cake with one real layer next time;)

4. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've added just a bit of CMC to my fondant to firm it up on humid days but don't add to much or it will dry before you get it on the cake. Seems to do ok in the frig, no weeping.

5. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    mb, what is cmc? thanks. and what is the best brand of fondant? i am used to making my own so the commercial stuff has me puzzled.

6. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    CMC is carboxymethoscellulose(if my memory is correct & my spelling may be off) and it's commercial name is tylose. I usually make my own fondant but have just started experimenting with wilton, satinice and pettinice. Jury's still out on this one:)