Is it just me or

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Last time I tried it the stuff was like eating a sandbox it had so much grit in it...

Joined May 30, 2015
Last time I tried it the stuff was like eating a sandbox it had so much grit in it...

The last time I tried some, I burnt my tongue. Maybe I should have turned the light off first.

Seriously though, I've noticed the same thing (very gritty and not very salty), so it's probably got lots of other inedible rocks and stuff ground in with it that dilute the salt taste.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Don't know where you all are getting your pink salt from, but my pink salt is salty and certainly not gritty!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Probably just you. It's saltier than most sea salt, I find.

My selection of sea salts are much saltier.

Don't know where you all are getting your pink salt from, but my pink salt is salty and certainly not gritty!

That’s exactly my point. Where are we getting these salts? Is the salt industry corrupt? I think I got my pink salt on sale at TJMaxx. I don’t have the container anymore. Could it be something dyed and labeled as himalayan salt?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I find it on the salty/sour side and use it in place of "sour salt" in one recipe. I bought mine from San Francisco Salt Co.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
There are probably some people out there that get pink curing salt thinking that they're getting the Himalayan stuff. Bad mistake.

mjb.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
It's salt mixed with sodium nitrate/nitrite. They dyed it pink to distinguish it from regular salt.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Pink Himilayan I get at TJ Max discount all the time is not only salty but has strong mineral overtones, great for steak but too intense for fish and vegetables.

Top Bottom