Is It A Dublin Thing?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kyheirloomer, Nov 9, 2011.

1. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I've always thought that colcannon was a dish made of potatoes and cabbage. And almost all the recipes for it I've seen call for those two as the major ingredients.

However (there's always a but, right?) I had, at different times this season, several visitors from Ireland. In each case I asked them about colcannon, and in each case they said (well, insisted, actually) that a proper colcannon is made with kale rather than cabbage.

They also pointed out that colcannon is only served on Halloween night; something I'd not heard before.

All these visitors stemmed from Dublin, as it turns out. So I'm wondering whether that's just a Dublin variation on the theme, or have we been making it wrong all these years?

Anybody got any insights?

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We catered a Halloween party that had colcannon which we made with kale and brussel sprouts.

3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've been visiting Ireland since I was a young girl, staying with friends and family in various counties of the republic, as well as Northern Ireland - I've had colcannon served with everything from kale to spring greens, to winter cabbage.  Lots of places people also add a little spring onion or leeks.

It certainly seems to be something that is often made with whichever winter vegetable comes to hand in some households.

Edited to add:  It may be a traditional Halloween recipe, but it is now eaten all year round, particularly after it was publicised by various great Irish chefs.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011