is it a cultural thing? (wifey asked me to ask)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by liv4fud, Oct 18, 2005.

1. liv4fud

liv4fud

we are from south east asia (now in chicago)
    usually the trend is that we eat the fruits raw and cook the veggies back home

out here, it seems the trend is to cook the fruit while eat the veggies raw

is it cultural thing or are we missing anything.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    That's a pretty big generalization! Are you asking about specific fruits and specific vegetables?

3. liv4fud

liv4fud

no, not really

I have my friends also who wouldn't really love fruits raw but would finish off cooked fruit deserts like the world was going to end tomorrow.

also, before the advent of (or me visiting one) subway - they wouldn't have eaten raw bell-peppers even back home. and out here we have cauliflower, mushrooms, snow-peas, etc. all raw (in a salad bar)

don't know if its curiousity or what but it does interest us to see that most of the fruits childeren are fed are mostly cooked (eg. apple sauce)

4. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think this is a generalization: What about eating a plain banana, grapefruit sections, slice pineapples, mangos, or fresh berries. I have no idea why your friends only eat cooked desserts, maybe the desserts are really custards with a bit of fruit, I can't say really without you mentioning what fruits.

Applesauce are for children who can't chew apples, b/c they are too young and can choke or for a warm soothing Fall/Winter treat. Great with gingerbread or spice cake.

5. 100folds

100folds

Also, I lived in southeast asia for over a year and a half and I have to say that I have never had fruit that tastes so good! When I recieve beautiful fruit in the restaurant I would nver dream of cooking it. That would just be wrong but most of the time we recieve fruit that has ripened in a box and tastes like straw until we add a little sugar and a little ice wine. Maybe that's it. We just don't have the same produce as Thailand does and our fruit tastes much better when we adjust it. Our vegtables on the other hand, we grow here and taste wonderful, if there in season. Just another reason to eat what you grow.

6. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Up here (Canada) we eat and enjoy fruits raw when they're in season. But the problem is, the season for fruit is very short (since winter lasts a good 4-6 months), and we enjoy eating fruit all year round. So we cook the fruits (make confiture, freeze fruit, make pies then freeze, etc...) and store them away. As far as vegetables go, I like some veggies raw as a snack, other times cooked.