Is "crispy" oven-baked breaded chicken possible?

Joined Aug 10, 2009
Okay, I apologize. I just get a little butthurt that people only focus on our crap foods, because that's all that's presented to them in their countries. (Thanks for nothing, McDonalds. Not only should you burn in H*ll, you should be breaded and deep-fried for eternity in Satan's own Fryolator.)

The truth is, here in the South and Southwest we make some of the best damned food on the planet. I'm in Texas, the nexus of Southern soul food, Western steak and BBQ, and the incomparable cuisines of the US-Mexico border. The global fusion cuisines to be had in California are also truly wonderful. And don't even get me started on the chile culture of New Mexico!

Of course, the blame for this oversight is squarely on our own shoulders. Unfortunatly, we seem to have a higher 'tard-per-capita ratio than most other so-called developed nations. Probably from eating too d*mned much junk food, I suspect.

Now, how do you like your steak: still squealing or just bloody rare? :p

Joined Jan 30, 2002
Found this recipe in one of my books today. Haven't tried it but no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Crispy Baked Chicken

1 frying chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 C skim milk
1 C cornflake crumbs
1 tsp rosemary
black pepper

Remove all skin from the chicken, rinse and dry the pieces thoroughly. Mix cornflake crumbs with rosemary and pepper and set aside. Dip chicken pieces in milk, then roll in the seasoned crumbs. Let stand briefly so coating will adhere.
Line pan with foil for easy clean-up, place chicken in oiled baking pan. Do not crowd (pieces should not touch). Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or more until done. Crumbs will form a crisp coating.

Joined Aug 30, 2008
This is how I make our breaded chicken as well. Coat the chicken in plain yogurt, then in breadcrumbs (dried out for just a few hours after processing them, add in Italian Seasonings and a little salt). Bake at 375 F for 22-27 minutes. They are crispy on top but the bottoms are a little soft. Everyone loves them. The yogurt helps the breading stay in place.

Joined Jul 9, 2013
If you haven't found something that works this is what I do for my clients

I use a cookie sheet with a cooling rack as my pan, it elevated the chicken o the pan and minimizes the soggyness, honestly there is no way around some soggy with baking. 

Preheat 375

2 Lb chicken, sliced thin

1 Cup Mayonnaise 

4 tbsp ranch dressing mix (powder)

4 tbsp heavy cream

1 egg

1 bag of italian seasoned crutons (or home made ones)

add the mayo, ranch, cream, and egg together in a bowl

blend the crutons together very fine (KEY)

after washing and pat drying the chicken, coat each piece with the wet ingredients and then coat with the crumbs, place on baking rack and bake each side for 10 mins remember EACH SIDE. I've noticed when i let them site on a cold cooling rack after baking that the crumbs harden up nicer than just off the sheet. 

Hope this help and works for you. 

Joined Jul 13, 2012
If you haven't found something that works this is what I do for my clients

I use a cookie sheet with a cooling rack as my pan, it elevated the chicken o the pan and minimizes the soggyness, honestly there is no way around some soggy with baking. 

Preheat 375

2 Lb chicken, sliced thin

1 Cup Mayonnaise 

4 tbsp ranch dressing mix (powder)

4 tbsp heavy cream

1 egg

1 bag of italian seasoned crutons (or home made ones)

add the mayo, ranch, cream, and egg together in a bowl

blend the crutons together very fine (KEY)

after washing and pat drying the chicken, coat each piece with the wet ingredients and then coat with the crumbs, place on baking rack and bake each side for 10 mins remember EACH SIDE. I've noticed when i let them site on a cold cooling rack after baking that the crumbs harden up nicer than just off the sheet. 

Hope this help and works for you. 
What kind of chicken are you using?  That is almost how I do eggplant slices & green tomatoes.  I coat with well seasoned mayo then into bread crumbs.  I rest them then it's onto a hot sheet pan - turn when golden and finish till golden on the other side.  They are delicious.

Joined Jan 21, 2011
Just torque the broiler up in the last few moments of cooking. When the panko or skin is to your liking, take it out. 

Joined Jan 21, 2011
Just torque the broiler up in the last few moments of cooking. When the panko or skin is to your liking, take it out. 

Joined Oct 29, 2008
I've done the usual flour, egg, then panko (I never use regular breadcrumb anymore especially when I want crispy crust) with skin on, bone in chicken thighs (1 hour at 350 in oven), and the result has been quite good. Maybe not as crispy as deep fried (still quite crispy) but you can't beat not having all that splatter. 

Top Bottom