is Cooking Two 5-rib Prime Ribs in ONE oven OK?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jinglealltheway, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm serving around 20 people this christmas so I've preordered two 5-rib roasts. I was wondering if its ok to stick both of these ribs in the same oven and cook them at the same time, as long as I follow the 20 minutes per pound rule?
    Will cooking two prime rib roasts side by side affect the cooking time in anyway?
    Let me know guys, i don't want to screw up the meat. Prime rib is toooo expensive to screw up.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No problem,
    Just stand the ribs up so there facing each other as if your putting your hands together to pray. Leave some space between the meat itself to allow for heat circulation. also be sure your roasting pan is beef enough to catch the fat as it renders.
    Enjoy

3. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Buy a third and you may have additional visitors as well.

...Where do you live? ;) *just kiddin'*

I'd also add that cooking them using a Programmable Thermometer. Cook it to just below your desired doneness and then let it sit for a good ten minutes or so before cutting.

Merry Christmas,

dan

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Two points, with respect.
    I advice against cooking anything with a probe thermometer inserted because of all the lose of juices. Also, you need to let your standing rib roast sit at least 20 minutes to allow for carry over cooking and for the juices to redistribute.

5. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the reply!
    Unfortunately i can't place them facing eachother in a straight line. I can place them parallel to eachother tho with a little space between. Is that ok? my oven isn't big enough :(

Also, would it be ok to place the roasts on the oven rack without a pan (i dont mind cleaning the rack later :) , and place the pan one level below it to catch the fat?

please let me know. You've been lots of help so far!

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Parallel is fine. I would not place your roast directly on the rack for a # of reasons.I would add a nice 3/4 #s of mire poix in your roasting pan, this will benefit your Au Jus.

7. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    my oven can't fit two roasting pans, so I sort of have to use the oven rack to place them on. Do you have any other recommendations of how I should roast them if using the oven rack is not a good idea?

8. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    please let me know if roasting on the oven rack is really really a bad idea. and why....i feel like its the only option I have. :(

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You don't need two roasting pans, just place them in one pan parallel to each other (facing each other).As far as using the rack to cook on, fat not only drips down, but because of the pressure that builds inside a protein will force spattering on your oven walls and oven floor. This fat is very combustible.Is your oven gas by any chance?

10. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    No my oven is not gas, it is electric.
    I was told to use a rack and pan like this (so that the heat can move all around the roast and juices will drip into the pan):
    [​IMG]

But i cannot fit two roasts in one of these, nor can I fit two of these pans in my oven.
    What kind of pan are you talking about that will fit both of my roasts?

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think this type of roast is too marbled/fatty to roast at any great height above the pan. I think you'll have a house full of smoke and an odor that will be with you until Valentine's Day.

Can you use another, larger oven at a nearby location, such as a neighbor's?

12. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ok.....do you roast a turkey in your oven for Thanksgiving? If yes, what weight and what type of pan?

13. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    yup, i've roasted a 20 pound turkey on the rack&pan pictured above. I have the rack/pan that I have posted above.
    I haven't seen the actual rib roasts yet, i pre-ordered them from my butcher and am having the bones removed by him.
    do you think they'll fit in that pan? Do you recommend I take out the rack and just use the pan in the picture above to make more room for 2 roasts?

14. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK.so your roasting half the weight with your standing rib roasts than you did with your turkey using the same pan.35/40% of your weight will come from the bones, 5#s is not a large roast by any means. You should be fine using the pan you posted. The rack in the pan is fine if you are not planning on making a jus, in-which I recommend a mire poix.

15. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    thanks for the reassurance and the prompt replies! :) One more question: Do you recommend I cook the roasts with the bones on, or have them removed by my butcher?
    I'm actually planning on using this recipe:
    what do you think?
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29243,00.html

16. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Absolutely cook with the bones,

When your roast is done and rested, remove the bones and slice your roast. Meanwhile hide the bones from everyone so you can BBQ them the next day for the best ribs you have ever eaten.

17. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    not a bad idea :) heck, i'm paying for the bones anyways..might as well keep 'em.
    thanks again for all of your help. you might have saved christmas dinner :)

by the way, what do you think about that recipe I posted? good one for primerib?

18. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Be wary of the "20 minutes per pound" idea. Shape & density are much important factors than given credit. Surface to mass ratio should be a consideration. While a " ___ minutes per pound" is a rule of thumb... it is not 100%.

19. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jim,

Interesting and true. But how do we help the home cook understand this theory. I think that is why the ____minutes per # is what is used.
    Easy to understand for a novice.

20. jinglealltheway

jinglealltheway

Exp:
    At home cook
    yeah, i'm not looking to get this down to a science. but enough for it to be an excellent prime rib.
    if I take it out every hour or so and test the internal temperature, would that be ok?

thanks.