Is chile a soup?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bigjake33, Feb 14, 2002.

1. bigjake33

bigjake33

Is chile a soup?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    In short, no. If say for example you see as "soup of the day" chili, then it might be soup in the style of chili with the appropriate flavors. Kinda like Nacho cheesier Doritos. Dunno... how do you even spell chile, chilli, chili? What's a soup anyway? Why are froglegs considered seafood?

Kuan

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In Denver, generally yes - just broth. Elsewhere especially in California and Atlanta it's a stew.

4. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    www.chilicookoff.com, the page for the International Chili Society has lots of information. Good Luck.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chile, is neither a soup or a stew. Chile, spelled this way refers to chile (hot) peppers. Chili (or sometimes chilli) refers to the dish, which depending on where in the country you live.

6. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks, Pete, you beat me to it! Don't know why chili is put under soups, it really is more of a stew, but that's where people look for it.

BTW, just to confuse you a little, the spelling 'chilli' is also used in Indonesia and Thailand to refer to the pepper!

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WOW! I just re-read my post, and I totally made no sense in that last sentence. Too many beers before posting is not a good thing!!!:eek:

What I meant to say is that chili (or chilli) refers to a dish, which depending on where you live in the country can either be a soup or a stew. Traditionally, it is more of a stew, and if you come from Texas (home of chili), never any beans, and only stew meat, not ground beef like you often see. Here in the midwest it tends to be more soup-like and usually contains beans.

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Peachcreek: I think you meant to say: http://www.chilicookoff.com

I've only been to a chili cook-off once, the one in Vermont (!). Some of the entries were pretty good, some awful, but the undisputed best name was Next-Day Chili. Think about it.:eek:

9. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chili (not to be confused with chile which is the pepper used to flavor chili) is a stew.

It's usually served in a soup well, right next to the soup because it's best kept hot in the same way soup is kept hot.

If one "thins out" chili with beef stock and adds, say a small pasta like tubetini, it may be referred to as a "soup." It's being stretched and flavored differently, possibly because it didn't sell as a chili.