Is a pressure cooker necessary

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kirralin23, Apr 6, 2012.

1. kirralin23

kirralin23

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I recently acquired a recipe for chicken I want to try.  The recipe says to cook the chicken in shortening in a pressure cooker.  I do not own a pressure cooker.  Will the chicken come out the same or similar if I simply deep fry it?

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think a pressure cooker and a pressure fryer are 2 different things.  Pressure cookers have their uses but I don't use mine at all.  What is this recipe?

3. kirralin23

kirralin23

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've done some additional research since I posted and you're correct, they are two different things.  If I followed the recipe (It's supposed to be KFC original recipe) and put that much shortening into a pressure cooker it would be very dangerous; it could explode.

4. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm going to go with Koukouvagia on this. I know that they use pressure FRYERS at KFC so that is what the recipe probably means. There was this word of warning when I looked up the difference between the two:

"And a final word of warning: a pressure cooker isn’t a pressure fryer!  Never put more then a quarter-inch of oil inside a pressure cooker.  You can’t safely duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken at home, it takes specialized equipment for that."