Iowa City?

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by kuan, Oct 13, 2002.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Okie, looks like deep undercover agent Kuan will be in Iowa City for the whole week next week. Anyone know any good spots?

Kuan

BTW I found out why Zagat has no listing for Cedar Rapids!

2. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

3. w.debord

w.debord

I just wrote a huge post and ALO kicked me off before I posted, DA__! I'll be back with info. again. Iowa City is a favorite for us. My hubby and family are from there.

4. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Devotay's restaurant? I'm there :)

Kuan

5. w.debord

w.debord

O.k. these are some of my favorites places but none are gourmet.........just mid-western good food.

Mondos Tomato Pie- (my step daughter manages one of the owners restaurants) they have a good roast chicken and garlic mashed potatoes. All their pasta dishes are great too. I love the decor there, it's very comfortable but it does get very crowded at times. It's on the strip in Cora Ville.

The Bread Basket -(owned by the same owner) has the best bread in Iowa......... good place to get lunch. It's downtown by the Mall.

Hamburg Inn- is a hip throw back to the 70's breakfast spot. In fact it isn't a repro, it's an original from that period. The eggs are average tasting but the atmophere is really comfortable retro.

The Mill- has decent lasanga and great garlic bread. It's by downtown.

Whiteys- is the BEST ICE CREAM IN THE WORLD. We eat there any time of day including breakfast if were only passing thru the area. My hubby LOVES their hot fudge malt! They put about 6 scoops of ice cream in their malts...they aren't whimpy milky shakes! I enjoy their fat free ice cream, banana malts, peanut butter revel ice cream........turtle sundaes rock!!!! With toasted pecans!!!!! YUMMY! They have several locations, eat downtown late at night and watch the students walking by.

Yen Changs- has the most auesome crab meat ragoon app. their no comparision to the ones other restaurants try to make.

Theres an enormous Chinese Buffet that very good....I foget the name of the restaurant but it's at the corner of 1st avenue and the main drag.....It doesn't have much atmosphere inside but the food is very good.

Avoid the new mall (unless you want to ice skate) and walk around the downtown area. Time has stood still there....kids stand outside playing gutar and smoking pot. They still have head shops in small store above the main shops. Around Halloween, hang out downtown after 10:00p.m. and watch the downtown come to life. The bar scenes there are still like the 60's and 70's...you might smell funny smoke.

The Artisan store- is a favorite stop for me. And a great place to buy something for your wife. There's also a small toy store downtown that the kids like....you'll find something there for your kids.

The Cottage- is a bakery I haven't been to. But the owner used to particapate on line and I know he's been published in Pastry Art & Design. It's by downtown.

If you get a chance eat at the Amana Colonies. Their home style meals are really great! My spouses family likes the Ox Yok Inn. I love the dark breads there, their cottage cheese and smoked meats.

If you get drunk you must end your night with a buritto at Pancheros (downtown). You won't be the only one there late at night.

I love visiting Iowa City!!! I hope you will too! It's a great place for mid-western eating.

6. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I walked past Whitey's last night! Tonight I'll definitely give it a try. I'll also try the Cottage :) Thanks for the tips W!

Kuan

7. w.debord

w.debord

OH my god Kuan, you walked by Whiteys last night and didn't stop!!!!! No joke they have the BEST malts and shakes I've ever experienced!
    Sooooooooo thick............ and the toasted pecans are salty and crunchie. Man, I want a turtle sundae right now!

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Whiteys! In Iowa City?? I thought they were a Moline (IL) outfit. Can't beat their butter pecan, IMHO.

Wendy, I also have fond memories of the Ox Yoke Inn in Amana (not sure which of the 7 colonies, but it's easy to find it). When I was 12 I left my retainer on the table, having carefully wrapped it in a paper napkin during dinner. Five miles after we left for home (in the Quad Cities), I screamed and we went back, only to learn it was no where to be seen. I was so frantic I searched through one of the garbage cans (full of fresh plate scrapings) to find it. Never did find it, but oh boy... what a memory! :eek:

Years later I returned to Amana with my husband and enjoyed a great meal there. I especially like the pickled ham salad. Lovely place to spend a sunny fall afternoon, Kuan, but hang onto your dental work. :lol:

9. w.debord

w.debord

So funny, I have an older sister who did the same thing with her retainer YEARS ago. Hours of looking thru the garbage didn't produce hers either. I bet theirs a million families out there with that same story.

Are you having fun Kuan?

10. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    OK I promise to go to Whitey's TONIGHT! :) Been busy the last coupla days, but tonight I'll hit Devotay. Wonder where Kurt's been these days.

Kuan

11. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Last night I went to Devotay. It's a tiny little restaurant in a greenhouse! Well, not literally, but it sits on a corner with two of the four walls made of glass panels. I love this place! You walk in the door and there's a tiny table and sign which says please wait to be seated. There is seating for probably 40, and this includes the 4 seats at the "bar." The tables are all roughly hand painted and the silverware doesn't match. The food is served on a hodgepodge of serving dishes ranging from fiestaware to 'restaurant quality" china. A very eclectic mix.

We ordered 5 items, a soup of the day, chorizo with sherry glaze, cheese platter, cod cakes, and the spanish omelet. Everything was pretty good, but if you really want value, just order the cheese plate. It's about a 1/3 to 1/2 pound of cheese for $5.50. Brie, Manchego, Mozz, and a coupla others. The best value in the house!

The wine selection blends into a mix pretty well. Many styles are represented with the emphasis on Riojas. There was one server there and one other table which was just finishing when we got our food. People started to trickle in as we picked at dinner and there were there was a four and two twos when we left.

We didn't have dessert 'cuz W said we HAD to get something at Whitey's. I had a Caramel Pecan while my wife had a malt. These are the BEST malts and the BEST ice cream in the world! There is no comparison! Whitey's beats EVERYONE hands down! Ben and Jerry's has nothing on Whitey's!

It was a good night. Too bad everything in that town closes early... except for all the bars! Ah, to be young again! :)

Kuan

12. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello, all.

Kuan, thanks for the nice review. Sorry it took me all this time to see it, though. I don't get to ChefTalk as much as I'd like, and to "Restaurant Rave" even less frequently.

Y'all missed a lot, though.

First of all, my other restaurant! Adagio is at 325 E Washington (I'll shamelessly self-promote no further)

Try Atlas at the Corner of Iowa and Dubuque. Also 126 at (of course) 126 E. Washington. For the best Thai I've ever had, try Thai Spice on Gilbert St.

Avoid sister-city Coralville like the plague, it's chain store ****.

Next time any of you are coming, you should let a guy know!

13. w.debord

w.debord

So funny Kuan! You wrote your review of Whiteys and it looked exactly like I typed it. :)

For everyone else....you have to make sure one of the girls makes your malts, guarenteed they'll use at least 6 scoops of ice cream per malt.

Sorry but everytime we've had one of the guys make the malts they aren't as detail over the top.

Oh....and the fat free malts are still top notch, too!

14. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Actually this year I've spent a total of about 7 days in Iowa City. I DID go to Adagio as well! :) Let's see, had a pizza, the elk Tenderloin, and some wine. That's about it though, can't remember what else we had. I know I know, no review, but highly recommended!

Kuan