introductory sous vide recommendations?

Joined Oct 16, 2018
was hoping some of you could recommend a good introductory sous vide machine?

i am considering the Instant Pot Accu Slim, and the Anova Nano, but open to others in a comparable price point.

so which would you all recommend, and why?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Wirecutter and CNET are my preferred kitchen appliance reviewers. Consumer reports too, but they're behind a paywall.

CNET doesn't seem to have much current content on this topic.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I have a Joule and I like it as an emersion circulator. I also have a Dorkfoods DSV temperature controller for my long cooking things like bone broths. I use a hot plate plugged into that unit and set the temperature then the probe goes into the pot and is kept at a set temperature for the length of the cooking time. Usually 30 - 40 hours for a clear stock. At that point all the nutrition is extracted from the components, but since it never boils it is completely clear after a trip through a tea towel.

AM-JKLXqn-YRAbU5p1top7b-svC6vJJXL09MDQxx6ujYxvni0t8cvsznsrsgAq9fYYI__MYZ_31nXhkMZ0RRZ6DZZzmCDNE5ggqj3qs7bjbuuWJ3dX4h6WkHubSHdBs6rczDfEYz37w0kj3kBzEO_sDTewsA=w759-h1012-no

Joined Oct 16, 2018
I have a Joule and I like it as an emersion circulator. I also have a Dorkfoods DSV temperature controller for my long cooking things like bone broths. I use a hot plate plugged into that unit and set the temperature then the probe goes into the pot and is kept at a set temperature for the length of the cooking time. Usually 30 - 40 hours for a clear stock. At that point all the nutrition is extracted from the components, but since it never boils it is completely clear after a trip through a tea towel.

That sounds like it would be quite handy for making cheese - does it just turn the power to the hot plate on and off? I'd assume you could keep the setting of the hotplate fairly low once it gets to temperature. How do you keep the probe where it should be? (i.e., not touching the pot surface?)

Joined Jan 9, 2019
Ditto on the Anova.
I don't bother with the remote/wifi control, as every time one implements it, one gets spammed.

Joined Oct 6, 2020
Ditto on the Anova.
I don't bother with the remote/wifi control, as every time one implements it, one gets spammed.

I totally agree. I have the Bluetooth version, and find the remote control of it is very hit and miss. I disabled it within a few days of purchase, and am totally happy to not have any remote control over the unit at all.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
That sounds like it would be quite handy for making cheese - does it just turn the power to the hot plate on and off? I'd assume you could keep the setting of the hotplate fairly low once it gets to temperature. How do you keep the probe where it should be? (i.e., not touching the pot surface?)

It's pretty simple really - you program the set temp and adjust the hotplate till it's at its set point. The temp stays there for days. As for the probe I just twist tie it to the handle and cover the pot with cling film. I like it near the center, but I have a lot of veg and parts in the pot as well.

Joined Oct 16, 2018
It's pretty simple really - you program the set temp and adjust the hotplate till it's at its set point. The temp stays there for days. As for the probe I just twist tie it to the handle and cover the pot with cling film. I like it near the center, but I have a lot of veg and parts in the pot as well.
so if I am understanding how it works, I need to manually get it to the right temp before it'll hold it there? I was assuming the controller would turn the device on and off, with a +/- range tolerance to roughly hold a temp.

Joined Oct 13, 2019
I got one of the first anova since 2011-2012 and still works like a charm today. Been using it on my restaurant no problem. Also got the anova pro both working strong and would probably last me another 5-10 years.

Top Bottom