Introductions are in order

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by dki9, Sep 26, 2003.

1. dki9

dki9

Hello all. My name is Sanjay, and I live in Houston, TX. I've always felt a pull to cook, but let my family talk me out of it for a long while. Early this year some circumstances occurred in my life which prompted me to re-evaluate my life, and I decided I should just go for it. I've enrolled in the Culinary Arts program at the Art Institute of Houston, and will be starting classes on Monday, October 6th. I've been unemployed for the last 6 months, mainly due to a lack of jobs in the computer industry, which I was doing before the career change, but recently got a job at Pappas Seafood, and I will be working there to help fund my way through school for the next 2+ years. Glad to meet everyone and hope to hear from all of you as I begin my journey into the passion that brings us all here - cooking.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to the board, Sanjay! We're glad you joined us. You will find lots of great information from friendly people, and be able to post and read about culinary education. There are some great threads in the Culinary Students forum if you set your preferences to see older threads.

What do you like to cook? What aspect of the industry interests you?

3. dki9

dki9

Thank you for the welcome. I don't have it all figured out just yet, but I heavily lean toward Cajun influences in my cooking. I figure I gotta like what i cook, and that's what I like. I'm also growing more and more intrigued with the seafood aspect of cooking, so Cajun seafood. Now, I've been interested in Cajun seafood for a while, and just happened to fall into the current job, which is a Cajun seafood restaurant. They started me on waitstaff, today was my first follow, and I am exhausted. The kitchen manager and general manager have assured me that they will move me to the kitchen side as soon as a position opens up, and I'm sure it will be none too soon, as I can't wait to get back there and start flipping fillets. Tomorrow is a second follow, but before that I have a TABC certification class in the morning. Wish me luck, and I'll be eagerly awaiting responses. OK, for fear of rambling (too late, huh?) I'll cut this off here.