Introduction

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by davevon, Jul 18, 2002.

1. davevon

davevon

Just wanted to say hi to all.

I'm a foodie from Baltimore. I tried starting a cooking group here without a lot of luck, but have since had fun with Slow Food. My most recent cook book is Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food," a great book for anyone interested in the how's and why's of cooking. My cooking goals for the summer are to perfect pie crusts and do more with barbequeing.

2. kimmie

kimmie

Hello Davevon,

You should find lots of tips on pie crust in our Pastry Forum.

Welcome to Cheftalk. :)

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Davevon, it's nice to meet you. You have worthy goals!

There's a lot of wonderful food to enjoy where you live (what's that Italian gelato/dessert place in Little Italy?!), although my brother gets to enjoy it more often than I do (he lives there).

4. davevon

davevon

Mezzaluna

You're thinking of Vaccaro's. They've grown to have about five shops in the Baltimore/Washington area. Fortunately we live near the one in Little Italy, one of the few that has gellato.

One of our favorite summer treats is Strappino - Prosecco over lemon Italian Ice. (Don't everyone jump on my back if that's not the right name.)

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    YUM! That's the place. I'm glad they decided to share the wealth and expand. Maybe Milwaukee will be next??

6. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk Davevon! :)

What's your pie crust? Only butter? Shortning? A bit of both? Or lard?

7. davevon

davevon

Pardon if this shows up more than once - I had some logging in issues this morning.

The recipe I use is from Cooks Illustrated. It also shows up on their website at http://www.americastestkitchen.com/Recipe/338.htm. As you see, it uses both butter and shortening. My results so far have been quite flaky and buttery tasting - I've had far worse. My only experience that wasn't favorable was in making a lattice top - the places where the dough crossed came out a little underdone and gummy.

Where I don't believe Cooks Illustrated to be gospel, I've almost always had good results with their recipes, and appreciate their sharing of the thought and experience they've had in working with them.

8. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Welcome Davevon to cheftalk , Lattice tops can be tough but keep it up and you shall get it . The callibration of the oven as well as the placement of the pies can realy affect your baking .
    An oven is like a beautifull woman , They all have there different
    ways to treat them to make them happy . You just have to learn the quirks of the oven you are using and I think your baking will be just fine . Again welcome and keep cookin . Your friend in food , Doug ;)