Introduction

Joined Jan 9, 2010
Hello, Everyone,

I am brand new to not only this forum, but to the world of forums in general. I have read many, but haven't interacted prior.

I have been a foodie and cook at home for a number of years. Currently, I live in Ohio, which limits my access to some foodstuffs. I am very interested in learning how to improve. More specifically, I am currently interested in learning much more about high quality knives. I just purchased a Misono UX 10 240 mm chef's knife and have a few questions and would appreciate any advice or direction.

Thank you,

bleugirl

Joined Aug 18, 2007
Well you're certainly going to get plenty of info re. knives here bleugirl... the forums swamped with knife threads and there are lots of experts... In fact any info u need, just ask,'cos there's bound to be someone to answer a query.

Look forward to hearing from u

Welcome to the forum BTW

Joined Dec 12, 2000
welcome aboard bleugirl. my advice on knives, first off don't overspend. Consider whether you are going to be using the knife in a restaurant setting or at home. In some cases a $25 knife will be just as good of a knife as one that costs $75.
Have fun on this site.

Joined Jan 9, 2010
Hi Bughut,

I never expected to feel so welcomed. Truly, I received greetings and responses so quickly that I was taken aback.

Yes, I was surfing the site a bit earlier and found some great info. already. It is a relief as I must confess, the knife maintenance, especially, is rather intimidating as I haven't owned a knife of this quality previously and from the research that I have done thus far, Japanese knives require special attention and expert sharpening, so I have questions!

Thank you for the greeting. It is appreciated.

bleugirl

Joined Jan 9, 2010
Hi CoolJ,

Thank you for the input. I concur, but I have used, for years, lesser expensive knives and I throw down much more, perhaps, than you would expect from a chick living in Ohio. Trying to struggle through butternut squashs, other various root vegetables and other dense, hard foods have proven to greatly reduce my enjoyment in the kitchen.

I own quite a modest, but various collection of the usual recongizable brands and it isn't a pleasant task using such tools that makes one struggle. Yes, I'm far from a professional, but wouldn't you agree that a foodie and a person that enjoys cooking for family and friends and who cooks nearly everyday should want to have a few high quality tools that makes cooking a joy and not a task?

You have any advice that you would like to proffer, I would be most grateful, especially regarding steels and the like. I have already done research into the maintenance and care of my new prized possession, but having a pro bestow some enlightenment upon the novice is always very much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

bleugirl

Latest posts

Top Bottom