Chef Forum banner

Introduction

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dgodinez 
#1 ·
My name is David and my wife and myself currently own and operate a pop up burger stand in the California Bay Area. We are on Instagam @ominousburgers.

I have always have had a love for cooking. I was raised by a single mother that worked 30 years as a waitress in a Chinese Restaurant. It was there at a young age that I was taught to cook and prep food. I have just recently took my love for cooking to the next level. We are also trying out the catering side.

I am also excited because I have enrolled in a few junior college culinary classes. Online at first, with classes like menu planning and food purchasing. I am looking forward to it.

I am glad that I found a forum that has like minded people.

#3 ·
Welcome to ChefTalk. Your pop up stand sounds fun. Is this your first time running your own place? What are some of the challenges you have faced with this?

I really LOVE when I see aspiring cooks/chefs avoiding the big culinary schools and going to the local junior colleges. They are far less expensive and if you pick the right one you can find very talented chefs who will teach you everything you need to know.

#4 ·
Welcome to ChefTalk. Your pop up stand sounds fun. Is this your first time running your own place? What are some of the challenges you have faced with this?

I really LOVE when I see aspiring cooks/chefs avoiding the big culinary schools and going to the local junior colleges. They are far less expensive and if you pick the right one you can find very talented chefs who will teach you everything you need to know.
Yes this is the first time running our own place. TBH the hardest part was the licensing. It seems like pop-ups are a confusing area. We are not a mobile truck or trailer nor are we a brick and mortar and the county is not to clear on what what is needed. We finally got it all figured out and basically we are considered caterers and got permitted as such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.