Introduce myself

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by a scottish chef, Dec 17, 2002.

1. a scottish chef

a scottish chef

Hi,

My name is Anndra and I work as a two day on two day off Chef for a large catering company. I also own/run a small catering business based in a small shop. The shop operates as an Indian takeaway mostly. This I do on the two days off from Catering Co.

So...eh...I work two days on and two days on. Perfect really - I love working as a Chef.

I spend my fourteen hour shifts (catering co.) working on main courses. In January I am due to start a 6 month shift in the bakery (complete with healthy pay rise and permanent contract to mark my extension of duties) and I am more than a little anxious about it as this is easily the weakest area of my skills.

Surely I will find all the help I need right here :chef:

Slainte!
    Anndra.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk, Anndra! It's a beautiful part of the world you live in. I was lucky enough to visit way back in the dark ages (1969) and enjoyed the scenery and people very much. The haggis wasn't bad, either!

We're glad you found us. Please visit all of our forums and meet some wonderful people. Since you'll be venturing into baking, stop in at the Pastry and Baking forums for some enlightening discussions. Good luck with your new adventure!

3. isa

isa

Welcome to chef Talk Anndra!

I never visited Scotland, never tasted Haggis either. I have all to learn about Scottish food.

4. a scottish chef

a scottish chef

"I have all to learn about Scottish food."

I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Presumably you won't be asking about some of our infamous trad delicacies - I'm talking here of deep fried mars bars in batter, or worst of all, pre-made pizzas cut in two, dipped in batter and then deep fried. Usually these are then served with deep fried chips and doused liberally with salt and fake vinegar.

Ideal really for those who love grease ridden gunk to speed their way to coronary # 1.

Thankfully things are getting much better!

5. isa

isa

Nah I won't ask you about deep fried anything. I've recently seen that on a US TV show and frankly I didn't get it. Why deep fry chocolate bar when you could eat a great Scottish smoked salmon??

Ok so I lied I do know about the salmon and whiskey. ;)

6. vloglady

vloglady

Hey Scottish chef! I'm with the New YOrk Caledonian Club in Manhattan, NYC. WE just had our Burns Night supper last saturday and the haggis was terrible! like pureed baby food, dog food, etc. We need a good source of fresh haggis here in NY.

I've made the deep fried mars bars (here in NY, they're Milky Ways) and they went over fabulous at our Scottish Cultural Day in October. FOr Hogmanay, I made them again and also the Deep fried Oreos. Great!

I make scotch eggs, smoked salmon appetizers and cranachan. Made Shepherd's Pie for 100 for a party. Whew, I'm tired.

PM me and we'll chat scottish chow.

Susan
    [email protected]

7. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do you have any menus from either of your catering establishments you would care to post?
    Thanks!

8. leo r.

leo r.

Hello Anndra, you`ll find a lot of fantastic people on here who are multi-talented,highly intelligent and have a great sense of humour.There is a fellow chef called Rachel on here who is based in Glasgow,so you`re not alone up there.
    There was a Burns Night where i work,it was great fun.Haggis,neeps and tatties:lips: The haggis was addressed in the traditional way.
    One waiter was asked if we had any vegetarian haggis. What the heck is that?:eek: Best wishes,Leo.

9. gogs

gogs

Hello from another Scottish Chef

These type of haggis is a blend of beans and puples with lots of spices, some people prefer it to the traditional haggis becuase it is less greasy and tastier.

However I am not sure.
    Scootish recipes have change over the years as we have now some of the greatest chefs in the world Gordon Ramsay to name but a few. Please understand his TV shows do him know justice as he is one of the finest there is . I just wish he was not such a F***ing prat!!!!

Gogs :chef: