intro - hi everyone

Joined Sep 3, 2021
my name is Raine. i found this site a while ago and signed up but i was too chicken to post because i called myself "Chef" Logan and i don't know how to change it. :emoji_flushed:

after browsing this site for a bit i realised i'm not a Chef in the true sense of the word so slinked off with my tail between my legs.

but i'm god-damned desperate for advice so i decided to bite the bullet and introduce myself.

about 5 years ago i was working as a kitchen-hand at a local boys boarding college. we did simple homestyle fare for 150 - 200 boys, breakfast, lunch and dinner. a few months in and our cook resigned and we didn't have a replacement. so i'm like, i'll do it, i can cook, how hard can it be? it turned out i had a natural affinity for bulk catering and just knowing instinctively how much of each ingredient we'd need for these constantly ravenous boys. it wasn't easy because there was a massive amount of food to cook each day equalling a lot of heavy lifting and i'm no spring chicken. more like an old boiler.

the boys loved my cooking but i didn't have the confidence to apply for the role full-time. it did however give me the confidence to apply for and gain smaller scale similar roles. so i've worked mainly cooking in aged care since then. i did a bit of al la carte and short-order cooking but often the pressure got to me when a lot of orders came in at once and i'd lose focus and panic. that never worked out well.

last year during our first lockdown (in New Zealand) i decided to gain some qualifications since i had nothing better to do. i decided to skip level 2 and 3 of the NZ Certificate in Cookery and enroled in the level 4 course. i completed the course and passed my exams earlier this year. i got the biggest complement from a classmate after the practical exam. he said, 'one minute you had all these pots n pans on the stove, next minute, boom, boom, boom ... you were done'.

it was a no pressure situation with no surprises. i had my plan written down and in my head. there was zero panicing. he on the other hand was bouncing off the walls and i was helping him when the tutors weren't looking. he didn't finish on time ... possibly because he was too busy focusing on all my pots n pan.

fast forward to now and i'm head chef ... err ... head cook in a small country hotel. it's been a steep learning curve and i have sooooooooooooo many questions.

Kia Ora Chef Talk

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Welcome Logan glad to have you in the community again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom