Interview

Joined Apr 4, 2002
I am in the Palatka High School Culinary Arts program and I am trying to do an interview with a restaraunt manager or an executive chef. I have a few questions to ask and if anyone would like to reply please feel free.

1)What kind of software do you use in your kitchen to keep track of food cost and food loss?
2)What percent of food cost do you try to maintain in your kitchen?
3)What are the main responsibilities that come with your job?
4)How often do you have to work?
5)What do you look for in people that you are hiring?
6)Is this a desk job or do you get to work in the kitchen as well?

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Let's see:

1. No software. Just the accountant who keeps track of spending etc. And our top cook who keeps track of the inventory. And the owner who spends.

2. Since the owner handles that I believe it isn't my problem.

3. I do everything. Food safety checks, cooking, dishes, paperwork, deliveries, cold food, bussing and waiting.

4. Are you kidding? The question should be "Do you ever get to stop working?" We work 14 hr days 7 days a week. You do the math.

5. First, someone who has actually been in a kitchen before. I dont need someone who I have to explain how to turn the stove on. Degree don't mean nothing if you don't know how to cook. Comprende? If not we can start you out as a dishwasher till you catch on.

6. I think Ive already explained this. Just read everything Ive said again.

Joined Jul 2, 2001
1)What kind of software do you use in your kitchen to keep track of food cost and food loss?
2)What percent of food cost do you try to maintain in your kitchen?
3)What are the main responsibilities that come with your job?
4)How often do you have to work?
5)What do you look for in people that you are hiring?
6)Is this a desk job or do you get to work in the kitchen as well?

1) We use Quick Books on our property
2) We maintain or food cost somewhere between 30 and 34% based on the number of caterings we do. They bring the food cost down.
3)Ordering, menu development, costing, capital improvements, budgeting, supervision,training and cooking.
4) I work everyday but Sunday unless there is a large party
5) I look for a neat apperance and a good attitude most of all
6)Since I'm the owner as well as the Chef my time is split about 65/35 desk to cooking. I work all the parties and work the line when working on specials and training of the managers

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom