Intersting site

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cape chef, Nov 8, 2001.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was reading my new food arts today and on page 10 they were talking about some of the help and support our industry has done since the wake of 911.

I came across this web page

www.911chefscare.com

Thought you may want to take a peek
    cc

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Brad- This site brings up a question that has been in the news lately. What is happening with the money that has been raised so far? I think it's over $1,000,000,000. I gave money to the Red Cross. Now they say they may use it for other purposes. That would not make me happy. Rather than raise new money, shouldn't we figure out what to do with the money that has already been raised? Windows of Hope has already raised more than $4,000,000 to aid food service workers.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kyle, I could not agree with you more.

The whole thing can become a little bit confusing.
    The red cross has the full obligation of sending the monies recieved to the proper people.

How will this be done? I don't know.

I thought that the fact that the site was backed by Food arts and formed to also support directly the men,woman and children in our industry that I would share the site.
    My only wish is that all the people are helped that have been devestaded by 911.
    I would love to see how the red cross and Ameri cares is delegating there funds.
    I think that if any one still wants to give they should consider the windows of hope foundation.
    cc

4. w.debord

w.debord

I only made a small contribution at the time. Very shortly after 9/11 I heard Oprah make a good point. She dirrectly said she wasn't going to make any contribution until she saw how the money already collected was going to be distributed. So she could be certain her money went where she wanted it to go, etc...

I heard on the news that the CEO of the red cross (the women on their comercials Burnidette Healy?) was so upset about how the board intented to NOT spend money as people had expected it (for the families of the disaster) but to use it in their regular budget, that she resigned in disappointment.

So I still want to help, but I'm waiting to do so. I really want my money to stay here in the US at this time. But I find all this confusing and I'm really really worried that if they screw this up (by not spending dirrectly on the dissaster) people will forever be reluctant to give as freely.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WDebord,

I had not heard about the Red Cross thing!
    How disapointing to hear what they may intend to do with the money they recieved.I pray that they use sound judgement.

I feel the same to what you said about people being reluctent in the future to contribute. God wouldn't that be a shame
    cc

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Having collected more than $500,000,000, The Red Cross was bound to find itself in the spotlight. They have done some back pedaling lately. They are now saying that the monies raised will only be used for efforts that related to domestic terror attacks. This means not only the WTC but any future attacks as well. They say they also intend to be able to provide assistance to WTC victims well into the future to account for unforseen financial needs. I am not all that happy with the budget politics at the Red Cross but can console myself with the knowledge that I made my contribution directly to the New York City Chapter.

7. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I think that the victims deserve all the money that was donated to their cause, and it is not up to the Red Cross to decide to cut off aid, because THEY THINK they have enough money to give. If that is the case, W. is right, people will never trust that their contributions are being distributed to the intended recipients, and will therefore not want to help people. That is the worst news of all.

On the other side of the coin, I have heard that the reason money is taking so long to reach the proper places is because there has never been such a huge disaster in this country, with such enormous response. The Red Cross and others claim that it is taking a long time to organize the distribution, and that in time everything will fall into place. I can only hope that this is true, and that they don't do the wrong thing.

8. kimmie

kimmie

CC,

Red Cross President Dr. Bernadine Healy had to step down because of her point of view.

Here's an article from CNN

I would ask for my money back and find someone in NYC who needs my full contribution! :)

9. risa

risa

This topic came up during a staff meeting the other day. Like many offices, we sent an envelope around the office for Red Cross donations and a couple of the staff delivered it to the local Red Cross. They shared with us the very interesting conversation they had with someone there. According to this person, the distribution is very slow because it's supposedly very hard to draw a line as to who is a victim. An example she gave was the Oklahoma bombing. The Red Cross is still distributing money for that because many rescue workers that responded to that tragic event apparently took their own lives or suffered some sort of mental breakdown after the event. They now have to budget for long-range effects and have to think more carefully about how they distribute aid. This was, of course, just from one person at a local Red Cross and she may not know any more than the rest of us.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I often wonder about the ripple and how far it goes.....what about people that work in NYC that are having angxiety attacks?
    Or the families that adopt the orphans? I don't watch TV...really...so I've not kept up with it as much as alot of you, how far would you want your money to go out? College for the children of workers? lump sums?prorated to need? The rescue firemen that lost their lives? Those that are battling depression?
    The loss of income for neighboring restaurants? Who should recieve relief? Big Question.....thoughts

11. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi folks , I once not to long ago had the need for assistance from the Red Cross . On New Years Eve 1996 I had a very nice home right on the Truckee river just below Reno Nevada . There had been a lot of snow dumped in the mountains and that night it rained a very hard and warm rain . On New years day 1997 we
    were told to evacuate cause a flood was on its way. Our home ended up being in the middle of the river for 5 days and we ended up losing everything . After about a week and a half of living in hotels we had exhausted our meager savings and the Red Cross was there to help. They gave us a food voucher for the dennys next to the hotel and then they paid for the hotel for another week while I looked for a home for me and my family to rent. When I found a home they gave us money to help with the rent and they also bought us beds to sleep on as we were able to salvage nothing. Looking back on this I have nothing but good memories about the Red Cross and I hope this tragedy does not mar there image. All I know is that they were there for us.:chef:

12. karlat

karlat

I think this last post from the flood victim speaks volumes. No one gave to the Red Cross specifically for this man and his family. If you give, give unconditionally. Sure the Red Cross isn't perfect and has seen it's share of controversy, but as this man and his family can witness to they help all people stricken by unforeseen disasters. Giving and helping is the important part. My 2 cents. Karla

13. fodigger

fodigger

The last post is well spoken ,you should give unconditionally. But haven said that there are many more organizations out there that do a better job than the Red Cross. If I remember correctly consumer reports did a survey after the L.A. earthquake afew years ago and found that the red cross did a poor job with the monies received spending only .54 of every dollar collected on relief the rest was on administration. The best was a lutheran church organization of which .95 of every dollar went to relief. That makes alot more sense to me. And that is MY 2 cents.:D

14. w.debord

w.debord

Lots' of good points.

Just another thought: you also have to consider that some charitable organizations have to pay their workers and some church related charites might be staffed by volunteer workers. Sometimes paid professionals (even in disaster work) might know more and be more helpful then less experienced volunteers. But I do totally agree that you have to watch companies costs! I don't want to see their top people in limo's.

I don't believe for a moment that the Red Cross isn't doing it's best. It's history speaks clearly. I can understand that they see this as an ongoing never ending need to help everyone. BUT many people THOUGHT their money would be going dirrectly to victums and no where else.

If they were wise (in my humble opinion) they'd air acouple comercials and take on some of the confusion. Educate us that money is needed for possible future attacks. BUT TELL US THE BULK OF THE CONRIBUTIONS WILL REMAIN ON AMERICAN SOIL. This was about AMERICANS HELPING AMERICANS. Donations for other disasters on foreign soil have never come close to this.

There's a contraversy over blood donated too, now. That they collected too much and they are now disposing a percentage of it. But lets recall that at the time of the bombing we expected the hospitals to be full of victums, that never happened. You can't blame that on them.

A quick note. I really believe the reports I've heard that said there are NO ORPHANS at all from this disaster! Every child affected from this is living in a home with relatives (no one is sitting in an orphanage). The families of All NYC employees lost in the tragidy have continuted recieving their normal pay. So although familys are hurting for funeral costs they still should be living in the same basic life style as before. I would guess that many of the regular employees in the finacial businesses located there, had insurance, had savings...many of them were very well paid individuals...

Unforunately it seems to me it's the poor (probably ilegal) workers that died whos families are suffering the most. Many of them might not understand how to get help, how to prove their loss, etc... The families of the janitors, bus boys, dish washers of this world. They have to be suffering.

15. fodigger

fodigger

While I think the Red Cross is a worthwhile organization I still have a problem w/ their allocation of funds. The last post spoke of professionals verses volunters. Most of who work w/ the Red Cross are volunters( the on the street guys). Alot of other "professional" organizations are raising a separate fund to handle the cost of adminstrating their 9/11 funds so that what was raised will go directly to the people how it was meant for. Between just their president and their board(us red cross alone) I've read their payroll is slightly over 3 million a yr plus expense accounts. And while the president should be payed fairly $400,000.00 + a yr seems to be kinda high to me. The is more than the president of the US at least until recently. I guess I just have a problem w/ both the Red Cross and United Way in general and will continue to search for charities that make better use of my hard earned dollars. Ok there is my nickles worth so let me step down from my soap box now. Enjoy life and the freedoms others have payed a huge price for.

16. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef