Internship With No Formal Training

Discussion in 'Culinary Externships / Internships' started by nas102295, Nov 8, 2016.

1. nas102295

nas102295

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hey you guys. I'm new to the site. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any opportunities for people like me who don't have the money for culinary school? I just turned 21 and I do have a high school diploma and some college but can no longer go due to financial reasons. Also, none of my college work is culinary related. I had just changed my major when I had to drop out. I want to become a chef more than anything but I feel like without any money and going to culinary school that it isn't going to be possible. I don't know any special skills but I've been told by tons of people (strangers included not just friends and family) that my food is really good. I know that it could be better and want to get into the industry and will do anything to do so and to learn everything I can.

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome to cheftalk.  Get a job in a restaurant.  Not a fast food place but a farm to table place.  Start washing dishes if you have to.  Tell the chef you want to learn.  Don't work unpaid.  

3. nas102295

nas102295

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Jimyra I don't live exactly one hotbed of restaurants. I'm looking to move but haven't decided where just yet. I'm looking at either NYC, San Fran, San Jose, or something like that. I'm trying to get a job right now in a kitchen around here to save up to move but I know it's going to take time.

4. chefsabroad

chefsabroad

Exp:
    Other
    Hi, we are an Inn with a fine dining restaurant. Our chef is a European Michelin Star trained chef.Please contact me privately.

nas102295 likes this.
  5. camillaprecious

camillaprecious

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow that was great. nas102295  contact ChefsAbroad  immediately . Its  a great opportunity for you. God Bless you all.

nas102295 likes this.
  6. nas102295

nas102295

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @CamillaPrecious I have tried but unfortunately I haven't gotten any response. I am hoping to get a reply soon. I've messaged the Inn's page on facebook and messaged the owner on facebook as well as on here. The next step will be to try and call.