Interning in Bangkok would love some advice

Discussion in 'Culinary Externships / Internships' started by zdawgnight, Dec 12, 2016.

1. zdawgnight

zdawgnight

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I Am about 2 months away from a 10 week internship in bangkok. I am hoping for some advice. Does anyone have much experience in Thailand? I have done a 1 star Michelin stage in NY and felt pretty confident I could hang so I am confident that the skill I have won't get me trampled. What I am curious of is if anyone can share with me how longer length stages go. Will I be looked at differently or welcomed as one of the kitchen members? Are stages typically roomed together or am I going to be on my own? Any advice would me much appreciated. Defntely stepping out of my comfort box on this one.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    You are essentially a guest in another country. So how the stage goes is dependent on how nice of a tourist you are. By which I mean how well you observe local customs, whether you  learn the language, etc. The kitchen work will be the same and the expectations for that will be the same. Work clean and neat, be observant, wash your hands, be respectful, etc. 

Show some interest in local culture, learn as much of the language as you can, be polite and respectful to everyone. 

Whether or not you room with others is a question for those who are hosting you. 

3. zdawgnight

zdawgnight

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Perhaps a dumb question but is there ever after further learning outside of work? How do days off go?

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
         Well, not a dumb question but one we can't answer. Days off, scheduling, living arrangements and the rest are all decided on by your host company or yourself. Are they providing living arrangements? Is the stage limited to 40 hours a week?  

You should be asking the company you will work for these questions. 

As for time off and further learning, I know that if I ever had the chance to do a stage in Thailand, I'd be out on my day off eating everything in sight, visiting every restaurant, cafe, street vendor and food market I could find. If I had two days off in a row, I'd figure out how to travel somewhere out of town to see some sights. 

You know, the internet is an amazing resource I wish I had had when I was younger. Now you can find out all kinds of things about the area of Thailand you are going to and decide in advance which things you might be able to see.  There is most likely an expatriate community of some kind there so you can hook up with others like yourself who might be more familiar with the local area and can give you some guidance. 

I would investigate any TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) group to see if they have connections.  Universities often have programs for exchange students, another area where you might find someone who can help you while you are there. 

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Make friends with someone and get a few invites for dinner at their mom's (or gma's) house.

Arrive early with a proper gift and see if you can hang out in the kitchen.

mimi

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Will you be in a top notch hotel property?   The rules are a bit different in Bangkok and basically all of Asia.  You won't be getting overtime, you won't be getting your 30 minutes for lunch.  But you will work your butt off and come back with a lot of skills.

Learn skills you cannot learn in a traditional French style kitchen.  That's all I can say.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    LOVE me some fancy hotel work.

I shadowed a butler on a concierge floor for a month (way back in the day when that floor MEANT something lol) ... now unless you are in UAE or one of those other hideouts for the peeps with the REAL oil money EVERYONE has access.

Maybe not the butler but everything else is at your disposal as a guest in any of our "Americanized" luxury brands.

Amazing things learned and nothing forgotten....

I learned to walk like a vampire.

Good times.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

mimi

Lots of things seen that cannot be unseen as well.

Not so fun times, there.

Ergo...the vampire walk.

m.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017