Interesting challenge (theoretical only) - What 12 ingredients can be used to make at least 5 contra

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by stevic, Jan 13, 2014.

1. stevic

stevic

Exp:
    Other
    Hi chefs, 

I am interested to know if you can think of 12 ingredients that can be used to make at least 5 contrasting dishes?

Does not have to be complex

I wanted to see if a Chef could identify 12 ingredients that can make a range of contrasting dishes: e.g. sweet and/or savoury.

(I am looking to create a literal analogy between music notes and food ingredients).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, 

Steve

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sounds like a homework assignment.  How are you going to correlate music notes to food other than with 12 tones?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would look to Schoenberg.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Go asian, where contrast in food is king, a key element to the construction of a meal and to each dish. 

rice

eggs

soy sauce

rice vinegar

chicken stock

garlic

ginger

cabbage/bok choy

pork

corn starch

milk

sugar

With this you can build soup, an asian slaw/salad., a stir fry, steamed rice, and a custard tart dessert-crustless.  This is a little pinched for full contrast, but it's a good start.

Do you get anything for free? Salt and pepper maybe? I could stand to have a teaspoon of neutral oil, to help in the stir fry and slaw, but I could survive without it. Might reach for a nonstick pan instead of a wok for the stir fry though in that case. 

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014