Insight on a little side hustle.

Joined May 2, 2016
I never was good at making titles, nor choosing what thread things belong too so excuse me if I am in the wrong area.

Where I live is a big vacation spot, beaches, docks with boat rentals, campsites a lot of fishing spots, jet ski rentals all the fun stuff people like to do where the shore and state forest meet. In my current job I do not really get to be very creative nor have much fun with food like my last job (covid issues caused me to lose it). So I came with the idea of making and selling little picnic baskets of sorts if you will that would have a charcuterie board or cheese and vegetable board in it, a small one at that and various sandwiches or other hand foods people can get and bring on their daily excursions or on dates and such. The idea came because I enjoyed making the boards during catering season at my last job, and hand foods and sandwiches are simple and almost everyone enjoys them and I could do with some creative side work. I can get pretty much everything I need from my local stores, including various cheeses and meats. Also I can make my own dips, bake my own breads if needed along with pickled snacks. So product I almost have figured out as well as consumers since I have various friends and family interested in such a product and friends of theirs who would more than likely tell people they know. Issue is I am not sure what kind of containers I should be looking to get for such a product. Also an inexpensive sealable platter for the boards that I will be putting together. I don't want them to be some Styrofoam or aluminum container that most places use for to go food. Any insight on that or anything else anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
It would seem that plastic wrap tightly wound around the board would be the simplest solution assuming that you have proper cold storage for the perishables.

Would you make them to order or have them preassembled and waiting for your customers?

Joined May 2, 2016
It would seem that plastic wrap tightly wound around the board would be the simplest solution assuming that you have proper cold storage for the perishables.

Would you make them to order or have them preassembled and waiting for your customers?
I think it would be best would be to take weekly orders and make them to order.

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I think it's a good idea. Finding great containers can be a problem. I like another poster's idea of making them only to order, at least at first, maybe always. You'd have to see. Some of the Michelin starred restaurants in NYC and around the country have been doing takeout during the pandemic. Need to find out where they're getting their containers, 'cause I'm guessing they're pretty high end.

Maybe some photos on their websites might be a start. Do a screen grab and then a Google image search might help you run down the supplier.

Joined May 2, 2016
I think it's a good idea. Finding great containers can be a problem. I like another poster's idea of making them only to order, at least at first, maybe always. You'd have to see. Some of the Michelin starred restaurants in NYC and around the country have been doing takeout during the pandemic. Need to find out where they're getting their containers, 'cause I'm guessing they're pretty high end.

Maybe some photos on their websites might be a start. Do a screen grab and then a Google image search might help you run down the supplier.
Im not sure why I did not think of that. This will just be a little side money unless I get fortunate and it becomes popular. I got some researching to do.

Joined Mar 6, 2021
toffee - Here is a recent article (16 May 21) from catersource discussing box dinners, etc that might give you some ideas. https://www.catersource.com/business-operations/thinking-inside-box

Take a look at Kraft Paper food boxes as a search item. An interesting site is cateringbox.

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Anne-Sophie Pic, the chef/owner of Michelin 3 star Maison Pic has started a food truck. You can get a glimpse of the plain packaging she's using. I realize that you aren't starting a truck, but the plain medium brown packaging gives you an opportunity for a little graphic design later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom